Leo zooms by Isevald

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Folding@Home
Isevald, it was a good chase, my friend. I hope no gravel hit your windshield as I overtook you. :cool: Technocrat, watch your rearview mirror! :D

Top 5 again. Last time I was there was 2004. :D

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    zooooom :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Nice work!!! The SMP is really making us non-dual core folks jealous!!! :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    It won't be too long until Q6600s are retail at $200 or less. Competent Socket 775 boards, very good ones actually, can be had for less than $100. When the Intel Nehalems are available in quantity, you will also lots of really nice Quads appearing on the trading forums as those who must have the latest and greatest upgrade their systems.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I need to ditch 4 or 5 of my systems before I can... well quadcore a rig or two! :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I need to ditch 4 or 5 of my systems before I can...
    Yup, that's what I always do. I usually find the upgrade components that I want, one computer at a time, install them, then immediately put the 'old' components up for sale on both Internet trading forums and local Craigslist. Craigslist is working for me much better than it used to. Ours previously was populated mainly by users whose level of sophistication was a maximum of being able to read the brand label of their ancient Dell or eMachines computer. Progress - now many of them can actually advise what operating system their PIII computer has! Well no, not quite that bad. I've been able to sell processors, motherboards, memory, power supplies, just about anything lately on Craigslist. I have learned though, that it's dicey selling motherboards on our (Alaska) Craigslist. It can be that the buyers interested in motherboards think they are experienced and knowledgeable in PC hardware. Come to find out, when you ask, it's their first attempt at doing anything more than swapping memory. I had one customer ruin a motherboard-processor combo. So for the time being, those two items only go on trading forums.

I try to upgrade when the old components are still 'new' enough to collect decent cash, but when the upgrade components are 'old' enough that prices are no longer in the "early adopter" range. The net cost for my upgrade cycles really hasn't been all that bad. I think the key to success for me in the upgrade cycles has been to sell removed components very quickly and to keep the spare bits bin with only the bare essential components. Hoarding mounds of old parts just creates a pile of ever more obsolete stuff that even Craigslist users won't buy.

More than half of my upgrade components, with the exception of power supplies, I source from trading forums, Craigslist, and (ugh!) eBay. If the proceeds from parts sales and purchasing discounts - used parts from forums, is factored in. My upgrades cost less than 50% the cost that would be incurred from buying new from online vendors.