asrock 939Dual-SATA2 bad flash :(

test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
edited June 2008 in Hardware
yep. i bricked it, well my cat bricked it. i was trying to flash the bios and the cat ran into the room, went behind the desk, and stepped on the power strip switch. >< does anyone still have this board that can maybe help me with a reflash? any other advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Badflash.com

Good service, reasonable price, and very fast turnaround time. I have used them before. From the time I contacted them and specified my order, I had a new BIOS chip within three days. Check your motherboard to see if it has a socketed CMOS chip. Some are integrated into the motherboard directly.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited June 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Badflash.com

Good service, reasonable price, and very fast turnaround time. I have used them before. From the time I contacted them and specified my order, I had a new BIOS chip within three days. Check your motherboard to see if it has a socketed CMOS chip. Some are integrated into the motherboard directly.

yea. it has a socket. i sent an email to the badflash guy, and im waiting for the response.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I have an ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 over at my brother's house that I THINK has a good CMOS chip. I'm pretty sure the board itself is borked and is not being used. Assuming your "location" has not changed, and you're not a serial killer, I would gladly let you have it so you can give it a try. I'm going over there today and will see about finding the board and getting the chip.
    edited June 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    I have an ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 over at my brother's house that I THINK has a good CMOS chip. I'm pretty sure the board itself is borked and is not being used. Assuming your "location" has not changed, and you're not a serial killer, I would gladly let you have it so you can give it a try. I'm going over there today and will see about finding the board and getting the chip.

if you could hook me up, that would be amazing. ill pm you with my phone number.
    edited June 2008
    Mason, don't give him your true name and address! Recommend you use a "cutout" (intermediary) to transfer the CMOS chip. Recommend the transfer be made in daylight, in the middle of a busy parking lot. You just can't be too careful.
    edited June 2008
    i was going to invite him over lol. all risk on me. but its up to him.
    edited June 2008
    You could show him your wood chipper!
    edited June 2008
    great you scared him off. now what am i supposed to feed my man eating plant? lol

still havent heard back from the badflash.com guy. ill probably try to email him again later.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Tony, you moved to Texas? o.O

PS: Mason, definitely not a serial killer
    tony.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Tony, you moved to Texas? o.O

yes sir. much better down here. sold my drums and hit the road. everything fell right into place in less than 2 weeks. apartment and all.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Congrats :)
    edited June 2008
    still havent heard back from the badflash.com guy
    OK, back on topic. I admit that when I used their services it was over four years ago. I hope they haven't gone downhill. I think there is just one person behind the business and site. Maybe he's on vacation or something.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Yay, I met someone from the internets and was not killed or kidnapped.:p

We live like 2 miles apart Tony, this calls for beers when both of us are not in such a hurry. It would be against the Icrontic code not to!

Hope the chip is still working for you!
    edited June 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    Yay, I met someone from the internets and was not killed or kidnapped.:p

We live like 2 miles apart Tony, this calls for beers when both of us are not in such a hurry. It would be against the Icrontic code not to!

Hope the chip is still working for you!

yes. i agree. beers are good.

the chip is serving me well. used it to fix the other bios by hot swapping the chips and reflashing the original. now i have a spare should i chose to play with modded bioses and break it again. as for my ram, i have no idea what happened. both sticks are dead. OCZ is going to replace the 1 gig kit of plat el rev2 mem i have with 2 gigs of plat el rev1. just bought another 2 gigs of the same stuff for a total of 4 gigs in the end. running many audio apps on this thing for recording. i will miss the rev2 ram. once had it running at 1-2-2-5 1T timings at ddr440 for several years. was incredible stuff.

system is currently running open air with the mobo on an old removable tray from a crappy case for support. ill post pictures of the setup tomorrow when i have some daylight. i set it up to run indefinitely this way, so all the cables are neatly routed and bundled. its something to see lol.

im just so happy to have a newer system than the socketA ive been running for the last 5 or 6 years. that was torture lol.