TRUE and C2D Lapping

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Hardware
This is a project Ive been wanting to get around to. Since the the recent wave of thunderstorms passed over Michigan left our household without power for three days i figured i had some time to do it.
started with the heat sink. Ive never done this before so i figured it would be a safer start.
P1010063.jpg
after some work with a 320 grit you can see that the base clearly bows out in the middle.
P1010062.jpg
After a 800 grit you can begin to see that its getting there. Still a little uneaven around the edges.
P1010067.jpg
The final results after brass polish.

The process i used was 320, 400, 800, 1000, 2000 sand papers then a 3m rubbing compound and finished with brass polish.

Started working on the cpu with the same process.
P1010058.jpg
P1010059.jpg
Ill finish that up after work tomorrow and check the temps.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    You'll get a big improvement. Well worth the effort.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited June 2008
    Just wondering since the true is so massive, how did you hold it? by the base of it?

And with the heat sink did you do circles to sand or up and down motion then turn it 90 degrees.

Also how much time total spent with the heat sink? and cpu

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Bubbleman wrote:
    Just wondering since the true is so massive, how did you hold it? by the base of it?

And with the heat sink did you do circles to sand or up and down motion then turn it 90 degrees.

Also how much time total spent with the heat sink? and cpu

Yes it was a very cumbersome thing to deal with. I held it by the base and did 90* turns every few seconds. As far as time, i spent about three and a half hours on the heatsink. I havent finished the cpu yet but its taking much less time because its way easier to work with.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2008
    Looks great!

Took me about three hours to do the SI-128 SE as well. It did make a big difference though :)
    edited June 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']Yes it was a very cumbersome thing to deal with. I held it by the base and did 90* turns every few seconds. As far as time, i spent about three and a half hours on the heatsink. I havent finished the cpu yet but its taking much less time because its way easier to work with.

What fans are you using on the TRUE?

Also I am not sure if you can have 2 fans on a true but you have to add some brackets or something like that.
  • edited June 2008
    If you used rubbing compound/brass polish on the heatsink, you will need to get the carrier out of the base for your heatsink to transfer heat most effectively. The carrier will penetrate the microfissures in the base and keep the TIM from getting the best contact. Something like Xylene paint thinnner should be able to remove the residual polish.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Acetone will also strip out any chemicals in the crevices.
    edited June 2008
    muddocktor wrote:
    If you used rubbing compound/brass polish on the heatsink, you will need to get the carrier out of the base for your heatsink to transfer heat most effectively. The carrier will penetrate the microfissures in the base and keep the TIM from getting the best contact. Something like Xylene paint thinnner should be able to remove the residual polish.

will alcohol get it off, or mineral spirits?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Acetone FTW
    edited June 2008
    Now buffing to a mirror finish does absolutely nothing right? I mean I know your aiming for flat surface and maybe the copper in case of the TRUE but whats the point in getting the mirror finish if it might harm you?

With all the chemicals from the polish going into the crevices, I mean just seems more harm than anything.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    One shouldn't really use 'polish' to polish the surface.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    You use brass polish and buff it with a 100% lint-free cotton cloth. Then you acetone the base.
  • edited June 2008
    The mineral spirits, followed by a good douching with 91% isopropyl alcohol should clean the junk off, ][v][AGIC. The mineral spirits should wash out the oil based stuff in the compound out of the microfissures and the alcohol should get any other residual left from the mineral spirits.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    So what was the final temp drop?
    edited June 2008
    Also I am not sure if you can have 2 fans on a true but you have to add some brackets or something like that.
    You can also use something simple, like fine gauge wire.
    edited June 2008
    well at 1.38v im at 22 idle. This is on my ****ty infinity board that doesnt overclock well at all. Ill post some final numbers when whatever p35 board i decide on comes in.
    edited June 2008
    Any final lapped pictures, assuming you lapped a bit more?
    edited June 2008
    Magic, I wouldn't put too much blame on your motherboard. The 975X chipset is really a Netburst platform tweaked to accept Core 2. Intel designed that chipset to be the height of performance for the last P4 CPUs and for the first production runs of Core 2 - to tide over the market until real Core 2 platforms would become available. It's really just the end of the line for the 945-965 chipset family.