New Square-Enix Greatest hits titles

edited December 2003 in Gaming
Square Enix just put out 4 more greatest hits cds. These games include : Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Chronicles, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears.

This wouldn't be all the big news except for the fact that an orginal Xenogears was still worth 50 dollars before Square-Enix decided to rerelease it.

So now all you that missed out on Xenogears earlier have a chance to see what you've been missing. The story is probably one of the best, if not the best. I reccommend you go out and pick this title up.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I'll second Xenogears .. One of the most involved, intense, and mature stories in video game history. Fantastically well written.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Umm... this is on PSX, not PC, right?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    PSX?? how much is the game, i have a PSX laying around i might pick this game up to play over christmas.
  • edited December 2003
    20 dollars. and yes it is on psx but this is a gaming forum so it doesn't matter
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I was just checking, I never really played PSX games but I've heard such good things about Xenogears that I would have tried this out if it was PC.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    i wish i could play FFIII (the snes US version) on my pc without going through an emulator. To me that is still the best FF game of all. I mean in the middle when the planet like blows up or whatever and you wake up on that beach alone, it was like the most intense gaming moment ever up to that time. I mean the bad guys had succeeded for once you know?
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Pfffft, they need to put this stuff out on something other than those Sonys..... God I hate those controllers :)
  • edited December 2003
    Pseudonym had this to say
    Pfffft, they need to put this stuff out on something other than those Sonys..... God I hate those controllers :)

yeah right, like that will happen.... besides i like the gamecube and ps2 controllers a hell of a lot more than xbox. i mean it's too bulky.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I dunno I am gonna have ta try that game if it has a better story line than max payne 1
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    It's a hit or miss affair, but you can emulate PlayStation on your PC provided you have at least a 1GHz processor, some RAM, a GeForce 3 or better, and a fast CD-ROM. I bought myself a little cable that adapts my PS2 controller to USB, so I have native support (nice). As I recall, Xenogears emulates fairly well.

There's extensive FAQ's and walkthroughs on how to set up emulators out there, I recommend you find one. Personally, I use ePSXe 1.6 with the latest Pete's graphics plugins, the eternal SPU plugin, and the PEOPS CD-ROM plugin. YMMV.

-drasnor :fold:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    ah if is PS1 Ill just go buy one used for 20 bux at Gamestop
    edited December 2003
    BTW, Xenogears is my favorite RPG ever, and I've played all the Final Fantasy games, including the translated FF2, FF3, and FF5. I haven't played Max Payne though, but I can't imagine anything being better than Xenogears. I played through the entire plot in 1 48-hour sitting, so how's that for addictive?

There's several places in Xenogears that are at least as intense as the transition from the World of Balance to the World of Ruin in FF6 (3 US) *shiver*. Yeah, thats why we're all excited about Xenosaga. Xenogears = Xenosaga epside 5.

edited December 2003
    GnomeWizardd had this to say
    ah if is PS1 Ill just go buy one used for 20 bux at Gamestop

Good plan. It was released at the same time as Final Fantasy 7, so analog sticks are a no-go. You can get a DualShock controller anyway, since they make great PC gamepads with the adapter.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Sweet! I bought the soundtrack to Xenogears after playing the demo, but I could never find the game!

The playstation controller rocks! I'm assuming it's one of the best-recieved controllers ever made, since so many PC controllers copy the design.

The ePSXe emulator works quite well on every PSX game I've ever tried. Try it for your PSX emulating needs :D (make sure to get latest version off of the dev's page).
    I'll probably play Xenogears on the PC with an emulator, although I have a PS2 and PS1 laying around as well.
    edited December 2003
    I think the PS2 is the best compromise between quality of video/sound and quality of play. No load times for PSX games, native support for everything, and real memory card support, while the PC generally has better-than-real sound emulation and much-better-than-real video, since it can scale 3d without any trouble to whatever resolution your video card supports (Chrono Cross and FF9 at 1600x1200 are stunning, btw). Some games aren't fully supported, though, or have some graphical glitches usually in menus/cursors. Sometimes a worthwhile tradeoff.

• edited December 2003
    Xenogears = Xenosaga epside 5.

no its not. Xenosaga has nothing to do with Xenogears besides being coded by the same team as before. Square owns the rights to anything related to Xenogears, and thus the entire storyline had to be changed for Xenosaga to be able to be release. This is why the moves aren't called deathblows, the gears aren't called gears, and the whole new future for KOS-MOS.

In my opinion Xenosaga was the worst RPG i've ever played. If any of you have played Xenosaga but not Xenogears, do not judge it by Xenosaga. Sure Xenosaga may be pretty, but it's storyline makes no sense and it wasn't even worth playing all the way through in my opinion. not to mention it was more movie than game....

sigh rpg's of today focus too much on graphics and not enough on story.
    edited December 2003
    Xenogeared had this to say
    Xenogears = Xenosaga epside 5.

no its not.
    Take another look at the "The End" screen after the credits.

I enjoyed Xenosaga. It wasn't as good as Xenogears, but that's a pretty demanding standard to live up to. It beat the socks off FFX and FF8 imho.

• edited December 2003
    drasnor had this to say

Take another look at the "The End" screen after the credits.

I enjoyed Xenosaga. It wasn't as good as Xenogears, but that's a pretty demanding standard to live up to. It beat the socks off FFX and FF8 imho.

-drasnor :fold: [/B]

you need to be more specific dras. The end of Xenogears says : Xenogears Episode 5, I'll give you that. Buuuuuuut all the end of the Xenosaga does is show boring crap that wasn't worthwhile. I don't feel like spoiling it....

Xenogears God and Mind Forums

the story yes is similar, but it has been changed because of the break from Squaresoft.
    edited December 2003
    Hmmmm. Well, we can only hope they don't screw it up. Hopefully they'll do it like Enix did their Game Boy Color re-release of Dragon Warrior: change up some names and call it a day.

• panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    drasnor had this to say
    I haven't played Max Payne though, but I can't imagine anything being better than Xenogears.

Yeah, thats why we're all excited about Xenosaga. Xenogears = Xenosaga epside 5.

Hah hah, comparing Xenogears to Max Payne? That's like comparing a diamond to a cubic zirconium (respectively).

I liked Xenosaga alot, the characters were well designed and consistent. The sheer madness and sadism of Albedo pleasantly reminded me of Kefka (still the worst video game villian ever, I think).

The "playing a movie" critics seems to forget what disc 2 of Xenogears played like.
    edited December 2003
    My thoughts exactly.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Kefka probably was the weirdest, most sadistic video game villain of all time.......
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    I can't say that I've ever played Xenogears. Personally I think FFVII is the best RPG ever. I love that game. Can anyone tell me what Xenogears is about without giving the whole story away? It might be one I could give a whirl on my PS2.

Norge
    edited December 2003
    Norge had this to say
    I can't say that I've ever played Xenogears. Personally I think FFVII is the best RPG ever. I love that game. Can anyone tell me what Xenogears is about without giving the whole story away? It might be one I could give a whirl on my PS2.

Norge

Xenogears is (among other things) an adventure of discovery...and then wishing you hadn't discovered it in the first place.

The big picture has Aveh and Kislev, two nations who have warred with each other for hundreds of years. Kislev had begun to gain the upper hand thanks to its superior numbers of newly unearthed "Gears", large robotic war machines from a time long forgotten. But the forces of Aveh are suddenly reinforced by a technolgically superior "Gebler" force, which seemingly appears out of nowhere. So Kislev and Aveh/Gebler continue their neverending war.

The actual beginning of the game introduces you to Fei, a young man without a past, and his idyllic existence in a quaint little town that has experienced little of the turmoil that engulfs much of the rest of the world.

And that's really all I can tell you without incalculably ruining it for you.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Bah, FFX and FFX2 had some of the nicest graphics around for RPGs, and they both had great stories. I enjoyed playing thru both of them.

It is possible to make a game with good graphics, and good story. Especialy if your name has 'square' in it somewhere.
    edited December 2003
    Uh... here's the best I can do without spoiling the plot. This is the plot at the beginning, and something like halfway through FF6 happens so don't think this plot will be true for very long.

20,000 years ago an enormous starship is transporting large numbers of civillians and a planet-destroying weapons system. Somehow, en route the weapons system becomes active and the captain self-destructs the starship in order to prevent the weapon from destroying a nearby planet.

Present day, in your home village of Lahan, your character's friend Timothy is getting married to one of your other friend Alice. Ever since you were dropped off mysteriously in the night three years ago, they have been your family. In the pre-wedding jitters, Alice wonders what her life would be like if she had chosen you. To prepare for the big event, you head off to the village doctor's house, a strange fellow that lives on a nearby mountain with his wife and daughter.

Your village sits on the border of Kislev and Aveh, two countries that have been at war for the past several years. They fight each other with Gears, large ancient Mecha uncovered from desert ruins and restored to fighting condition. No one really knows what powers Gears, only that they are the key to defeating the enemy. A mysterious military force appeared recently, calling themselves the Gebler, and upset the delicate balance. They fight with Gears far more technologically advanced than either Aveh or Kislev possess.

A prototype Gear with Gebler technology was stolen during a raid on Kislev. Damaged, on the run, persued by Gebler forces, it is forced to make an emergency landing in Lahan...

edited December 2003
    I'm sorry Drasnor but there are a few things here:

"20,000 years ago an enormous starship..."

It's 10,000 years, if you remember Old Man Bal from the cave, there doesn't seem to be any human remains from before 10,000 years ago.

"two countries that have been at war for the past several years..."

The past several hundred years in fact. The game's exposition relates that no one remembers what caused Kislev and Aveh to go to war in the first place.

"A mysterious military force appeared recently, calling themselves the Gebler, and upset the delicate balance"

Again, the game's exposition says that Kislev was gaining the upper hand due to its superior resources in Gears and Gebler appears fight with Aveh. And so Gebler actually restores the balance while Aveh gets its act together with gear warfare. If you remember the purpose for Aveh and Kislev that Gebler's home nation works towards, this would make sense.
    edited December 2003
    You're right, but I didn't bother to look it up. You know as well as I do that it isn't that important. :D

• NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    Sounds like a pretty darn good game to me. Do they still sell it new or would I have to find a copy at a Gamestop or something like that? After I finish FFX I think I might give it a whirl. The story is pretty intriguing and I know there gotta be some good twist in there.

Norge
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    which console is this on again?

PS1, and dude, ebgames.com is selling it for $65 used! is it rare, or is it just that good?