MacBook Pro HDD Update!

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Hardware
So I have been looking around and reading as much as I can on upgrading my HDD in my mac, and I have two choices. I just want some opinions on what I should purchase, before I purchase. So as of now i have a Fujitsu mhw2120bh. Which is a 120GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache SATA(1.5GB/s) drive. My First find was

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160

As for my Second option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149072

Now I have read from several sites and forums that even though the first drive is 7200rpm, and the second 5400rpm, the 320 would be almost as fast due to disk density. If the 5400rpm drive will be almost as fast I would like to go with that one, but if what i have read is wrong I think I should sacrifice the extra 120 gigs of space and go with the faster drive.

Any help extra input on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I recognize that data density efficiency on a hard drive platter can increase performance, I just don't see it overcoming the platter's slow rotational speed. But maybe I'm just not up to date.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    You've heard it from several of us: the difference between 7200 and 5400 in laptop HDs is almost stupendous. It's a clearly noticeable difference. I refuse to purchase any laptop in the future without also making sure I can get a 7200RPM drive in it. When I upgraded my old Dell Inspiron 600m from 5400 to 7200 it was like getting an entirely new machine. EVERYTHING was faster.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    That's one of the prime cost cutting measures the manufacturers us with their laptops - crummy 5400RPM hard drives. Yes, that includes Apple. The manufacturers know what specifications most consumers will check. That's usually just the more superficial and obvious specifications.