AT A COMPLETE STANDSTILL!

edited July 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

History: PC working completely fine last night. Turned on this am and this is what is happening..........

Turn on Pc
I get the Windows XP Screen
Then I get the Welcome screen with a user's account name (administrator) - never got this before - pc would always boot to desktop.
Then I click on the user account and it says Loading settings - then says logging off - then says saving settings and brings me back to the welcome/user account screen. Appears to be in loop and won't boot to desktop.
Tried booting in safe mode and last known good configuration - still the same problem.

PLEASE help as my whole life is on this PC!

The only other thing that happened differently before shutting down last night is that I ran Spybot and when it found problems, it deleted them and I saw a quick "winlogin" screen that was checked deny????

Any help you can give will be appreciated!!!!!!

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Do you have the teatimer enabled in Spybot? It pops up in the tray by the clock when registry changes are made?
    If yes, then you may have been "infected" with something that mimics or is named the same as the Winlogon process and is now not being allowed to run because it meant to block the infection, not the actual Winlogon process.

You may need to do a repair install of Windows.
  • edited July 2008
    Yes, the teatimer was enabled. How do I do a repair install of Windows, and will I lose everything on my PC (games - personal data- photos)? I don't have Windows CD's. And, how do I determine if this is the real problem? Is there no way of getting to my desktop without doing this? Thanks in advance. Hard to believe it's an infection - I have sooo much protection!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Repair Installation, Windows. Do you have a Microsoft Windows CD or a "restore" CD for your computer?
  • edited July 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Repair Installation, Windows. Do you have a Microsoft Windows CD or a "restore" CD for your computer?

This is what I have: 7 CD's that read "System Recovery" Win XP Home Edition , and I have one CD that reads Recovery Console (chkdsk /r). My main concern is not to overwrite any of my personal stuff on the high drive with this procedure. Can any of these CD's help?