Looking For Best Laptop Deal

edited July 2008 in Hardware
I'm looking to get the best deal on a laptop.
Price range is basically under 1,000.
Can anyone find a better on than dell inspiron 1252 (for 699$): intel core 2 duo processor t5550, vista, 3gb memory, 250gb hard drive, cd/dvd RW,

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    You're kinda in the same boat as this thread:
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72346

Have you looked at HP's?
  • edited July 2008
    I have not looked at them, I've looked at mostly dell because they have been reliable for me
  • edited July 2008
    I personally suggest using whatever is the newest dell latitude that can be found. I have mine and I LOVE it. Make sure you get one that has a built-in gfx card though, but from what I see about the latitudes that is standard fare. My .02.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    I'd recommend Dell. We are a Dell certified partner at work, and we sell the business class latitude's and mobile workstations, let me tell ya, there's nothing better than a latitude. Those things are so tough its insane. If you get a dell dont get an inspiron, go with a business class laptop due to their build quality. Sure you'll pay a few extra bucks, but its worth it for the life you'll get from it. Overall I recommend an entry level latitude or a vostro, both are built for traveling and have very sturdy chasis'.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    If you want a tough laptop, get a Lenovo. They've won durability and reliability tests for years. It sure isn't Dell winning those tests.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    Yea if you want a virtually indestructable laptop get a lenovo, however they aren't cheap. They start at $808 according to their website. You can get a very nicely equiped vostro for around $600 with dedicated graphics.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I haven't used a Dell laptop in four years, but last I did, it was good performing, reliable machine with good ergonomics. Never let me down.

I have not used a Lenovo either, but have been using the IBM Thinkpad for years, the forerunner of Lenovo laptop. I swear by them. They are very, very tough, have good ergonomics, and are excellent in reliability. Were I purchasing a new laptop, specifications being equal, I'd consider the Lenovo worth an extra one to two hundred dollars easily. But just to reiterate, I have not used a Dell laptop in several years, so I am current with their build quality.