NTLDR is missing

edited July 2008 in Hardware
On my son's computer when I turn it on it comes up with NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. We were given this computer a while back so I have no boot discs or anything like that. Is there any way to fix this? I am limited on my computer knowledge so I am at a complete loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Has anything changed recently with the machine? Power outage or other problems?

What type of machine is this?
  • edited July 2008
    No, no power outtages. My son was playing a game, he alt-tabbed it to get to windows, it froze and the computer rebooted itself and the NTLDR is missing came up. It is a Dell Dimension 2400 running windows xp.
    edited July 2008
    Ewwww... I have a feeling this is not good.

Any chance of getting your hands on a Windows XP install disc? You probably need to fix the Master boot record or boot sector.

Try this tutorial: http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp
  • edited July 2008
    I don't have a windows xp install disc and I will have to ask around to see if anyone has one. Is there any way of fixing this without the disc?
    edited July 2008
    You need to be able to boot the PC with an OS that will read the drive, since it is formatted NTFS.. Possibly a Knoppix boot CD or something, but I am not familiar with its use. There are a lot of guys here that are though.. I am sure they will chime in sooner or later :)
  • edited July 2008
    OK, thanks. I found out that the person we got the computer from got the computer from a pawn shop so he has no discs. Thanks for trying and anyone else who might have any idea on how to fix this, I'll keep checking back here. Thanks.
  • edited July 2008
    If you havn't fixed it I suggest that you should check out this previous topic

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=593884

Not sure that you can do this without a CD but it's worth checking out.
    Good luck.