Bestest RAID card?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited June 2003 in Hardware
For ~$100 or less, that is. I'm not willing to pay insane amounts of $$ for a RAID card- $110 max probably... so what's the best ATA-133 RAID card for around $100 or less? It has to handle 4 drives in RAID 0 (4x 160gb) and I've got a K7D-L it's going in, so if it can do 64 bit or 66MHz PCI, that's a plus. I'd also like to avoid ordering on line 'coz I want it NOW (yea I'm impatient), which means my choices are as follows:

HighPoint RocketRaid 133- $78
HighPoint RocketRaid 404- $98
Promise FastTrak TX2000 -$108

OR if I go to Newegg and wait a few days for shipping (:banghead: )

My choices are:
HighPoint RocketRaid 133- $70.99
HighPoint RocketRaid 404- $90.99
Promise FastTrak TX2000- $85.00
Promise FastTrak TX4000- $103.00

So, what should I get? I COULD go with newegg and wait, if the TX4000 is worth it...

opinions anyone?

//EDIT
I'm going to run 2, 2-drive RAID 0 arrays, one primary and one backup, so I think I could get away with running one array as the 2 masters, the other as the 2 slaves, and not have a performance hit except in array -> array transfers... but I might be wrong...

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    i love muh rocketraid 404 that i got off newegg refurb for $49, supports 0, 1, 1+0, 5 etc. i run 3x40gb WD's on it. if ur going to run 4 drives raid-0 u will want a card with 4 connections so all the drives can be master. muh $.02

fc
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    FC, I should elaborate more (I'll edit it in)

I'm going to run 2, 2-drive RAID 0 arrays, one primary and one backup, so I think I could get away with running one array as the 2 masters, the other as the 2 slaves, and not have a performance hit except in array -> array transfers... but I might be wrong...
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    so... any other suggestions?
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2003
    I have used the Promise Fast-Track in a few client computers (running Video and or Audio on Demand servers) and have had no problems with it. One is running 4 x 120 GB hard drives in a stripe and slave (2 drives striped, and another 2 striped that are slaved to the first 2 for redundancy) for a 5 channel Audio-On-Demand server. It works great, has not had any drive problems in 6 months of use.

I did find the set-up a bit tricky, mostly because I did not RTFM properly at first.... I was used to doing SCSI raid with Adaptec cards, so I thought it would be pretty much the same thing. Bzzzzzzt. :rolleyes: Read the manual thoroughly before you just drop it in and run the install disk. Once I followed the proper instructions, it was a SNAP.

Dexter...