MSI K9A2 Platinum

bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
edited July 2008 in Hardware
Alright, so im trying to decide yeh or neh on this MSI board. I haven't ever owned anything MSI and frankly dont know much about them. Does anybody have one? Or have owned this motherboard? If so, what are your thoughts on it...

Thanks.

Rig Planned:
6400 Black Edition (overclocking is a must.)
MSI K9A2 Platinum :confused:
VisionTek HD 4870 512MB (single card for now.)
4GB G.Skill PC-6400

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Don't own one just sell them, don't get people back with that board seems to pretty decent for everything. It is SAS ready so that is a plus....kind of.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    according to neoseeker review of the board, it seems to be pretty good. but i wanted an opinion from here too...

@k, yea it seems to be fairly solid, im debating between this board and a high end asus board. however, if my pc doesnt sell for too much on ebay i wont be able to afford the high end asus. so, i wanted to explore all my options and so far this looks like a good option.
  • edited July 2008
    OK, I have a few questions to shoot at you here.

1. Why a 6400BE? That's old 90nm technology and while it has an unlocked multiplier it won't overclock too much higher than it's present speed. It is also very power hungry compared to the newer process processors, both AMD and Intel. The 6400BE is a 125 watt TDP processor and with that kind of power draw you could buy a Phenom 9850BE for about $55 more and have a quad core 65nm proc that has about the same TDP.

2. Why not an Intel setup? For what you are looking at building at presently, you can build an Intel based rig that will basically run circles around that 6400BE system. The 6400BE/MSI K9A2 Platinum combo runs roughly $300 and you can get an E8200/ASUS P5Q Pro (P45 chipset) setup for around $325 and you can buy a E7200/ASUS P5Q Pro setup for around $280. Both processors are built on Intel's 45nm process and are 65 watt TDP parts. That will make them easier to cool and both are highly overclockable. And if you are looking for performance per dollar, there is no comparison between the Core based Intels and the AMD dual core processors, with the Intels having both a higher IPC and being more overclockable.

EDIT: For pricing, I used Newegg.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I have used MSI boards on numerous builds and have had excellent results. However, I do not have direct knowledge of the board you have in mind. I wanted to throw in on your post because you are planning on the X2 6400BE. I have that processor in my main rig on this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013

You state overclocking is a must. You won't get it with the 6400BE. If you get 200 more mhz out of it, you are pretty much topped out. Search the internet. The 6400BE just does not overclock worth a darn. I am not going to push INTEL; I am an AMD fan and perfectly happy with my x2 6400BE. It is a great gamer. However, if you want to overclock, you will need to look at INTEL especially the E8400. Buy what you like; I did. But just don't expect much more than stock from the 6400BE.
    edited July 2008
    ok. well @ muddoktor the reason im going with 6400 is because i already have it. im not buying a processor, i planned on keeping this 6400 for a little while longer and then upgrading to a phenom. currently i just dont have enough to buy a processor atm and i think the 6400 will hold me out for a couple months anyway until i can get a phenom. my question is, games dont really use quad core, so why go phenom? unless i missed something where games started to use phenoms...

frankly i AM an intel fan, always have been. today after work ill put a rig together based off intel, im not really sure why i ended up setting up an amd rig anyway. only thing is ill have to run off a 3.0ghz p4 for a month or two before i can buy an e8200. anyway, thanks for the mind opening post guys. i didnt realize the new intel chipsets support sli and crossfire which is why i thought i was stuck with amd.

Thanks!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Seems as though the smart move for you would be to just wait until you have the money for exactly what suits your needs. Why purchase a non-overclockable system now, just to have to sell the parts at greatly reduced value a couple months later?

If you want to overclock, it is counterproductive to put together a stop-gap system right now if you have to purchase retail parts for it.
    edited July 2008
    well probably what ill end up doing is going intel, i have a 3.0GHz p4 sitting around so its not like i have to buy a processor now and im not going to sell it, so if i get everything now all i have to do later is buy a C2D, i wont have to sell anything.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    So long as your P4 is socket 775, you're golden.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Should be fine, the board in there is a 945G chipset and up to a 1066FSB.
  • edited July 2008
    I own an MSI board, sadly haven't used it yet. But from what I've heard and seen, MSI seems like a dependable company.

Plus, does anyone know how their laptops rank?
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited July 2008
    I own the K9A2 Platinum. I was an early adopter, just waiting for Deneb. Should have waited for the 780Gs/SB700, but needed the newer support with Crossfire capabilities. I am a little late on this one though so excuse my idle banter... :(
    edited July 2008
    alrighty, i went intel. i bought an e8400 now ill just wait on the 4870 for a couple weeks. thanks for the insight fellas.