WTB older PC for WoW

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Trading Post
My nephew will soon have internet access at his house, and his Dell Dimension 4100 ain't gonna cut it for playing WoW.

So I'm looking for a computer that I can build up and put WoW on. I'm looking for something with a decent case and power supply, and a 1.5 Ghz + CPU, capable of running 1 GB or more of RAM, and has an AGP or PCI Express video card slot.

It'd be nice if it has a decent video card in it also. I have a Radeon 9200 SE I can put in, but that's not really good enough for WoW. If it doesn't have 1 Gb or more of RAM in it now that is ok, I can get it.

I can install XP Home on it, so it doesn't have to have an OS on it.

Anyone got anything?

Email me at loudmouthtim@hotmail.com , and we'll talk about it.

Comments

• redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited July 2008
    abit nf7 ver 2 mb, ATHLON XP si 120 heat sink, 1 GB memory, antec case & supply

would that work?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Ill have a AMD A64 3200+ a MSI K8T neo board 1 gig ram and a 6800GT for sale in a week
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Redchief - that computer will work, I assume it has no graphics card or hard drive in it now? Also, exactly what speed of Athlon XP is in it?

And what would your asking price be, with shipping to 16229 zip code?

Gnomewizardd - that computer will also work, it is just the cpu, mb, and ram and video card for sale with no case or power supply or hard drive? If so, what's your asking price with shipping to the 16229 zip code?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Tim, I believe I may have just what the doctor ordered for a video card.

7600GS, 256MB, 256-bit, PCI-e, DVI and D-Sub out, excellent condition, clean....just posted a few minutes ago.

(No, Gnome, this NOT the 7600 you sold me a while back. I already resold that one.)
    edited July 2008
    Well, IF redchief responds like he's supposed to, I'd have an Abit NF-7 mb, which is AGP. That video card would be good but I need a PCI-e MB to plug it into.
  • edited July 2008
    Hey Tim, I believe I have an ATI All In Wonder 9800 Pro hanging around at the house doing nothing at the moment. I would have to hunt it up but it was working just fine when I took the old system it was running in out of service. I'm on the rig at work right now but will be going in next Monday. I bought it as a bare care refurb from Newegg back in the day that the 9800 cards were king of the roost, so I don't have the breakout cables that you need to use the tuner and stuff, but it works just great as a video card. If you are interested, PM me and we can talk about it if you want it.
    edited July 2008
    do we have a decision?
  • edited July 2008
    I don't guess Tim is interested. I never got a PM or anything.
    edited July 2008
    same here
    edited July 2008
    loudmouthtim= silenced........

......we must be good
    edited July 2008
    Sorry for the delays, I've had a lot of things going on lately. Someone gave yes, GAVE me an Emachines tower with a 2600+ Athlon XP in it. I haven't gotten around to seeing if it works yet. It needs a power switch in the front, that's all I know so far.

Even if this PC works, I might still be looking for a decent AGP graphics card for it.

I might work on it tonight or tomorrow, then I'll go from there.

Thanks for the responses to my ad so far, though.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    AGP Video Cards on Icrontic's marketplace. The 3850 AGP is actually an AWESOME card for older systems.
    edited August 2008
    woot had a X1950 for like 70 bucks
    edited August 2008
    Got the computer working, the only real problem it had was a power switch whose snap-in mount in the front case cover was broken off.

It's an Emachines W2686, with an Athlon XP2600 2.13 Ghz, 512MB DDR RAM, and an 80 GB Western Digital hard drive. Motherboard is a Winfast / Foxconn K7S741 Micro ATX, SiS741/963L chipset.

The Athlon XP has 0327 on it for the date code, I think that's an unlocked multiplier? The L1 bridges do not appear to be cut. But this BIOS has very little for overclocking options:(.

Only real issue is that the BIOS seems to have no idea what the CPU temperature really is. As soon as you start the pc, within about 2 minutes the BIOS is showing 60-61 C with no cpu load. I tried it with a large all aluminum heat sink, and with a smaller copper heat sink with a solid copper base about 1/4" thick, and it made no difference in CPU temperatures.

Anyone got any 512MB or 1 GB DDR RAM sticks, PC3200? I'd like to put at least 1 GB of RAM in it for WoW. I'll also need a good AGP 8X video card, like a Radeon X700 or thereabouts. It'll be playing on a 17 inch monitor at 1024 X 768, so an awesome video card won't really be needed.
    edited August 2008
    I've used the outdoor sensor placed in/on the heatsink to get a good approximate temp.
    may be off a degree or two, but consistant.