How to do a Perfect Overclock?

MisterJefMisterJef Laval,Qc,Canada
edited July 2008 in Hardware
Hey Guys i was wondering my CPU is a AMD 6000+ with 3.01 Ghz of power and i wanted to overclock it a bit but i am scared of F*cking it up can you guys help me out with this??

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'm quite sure that you can get all the help you will need here, but we will need to know all of you system hardware specifications.

Oh Mr. Lemon lime!!!m2vhelp.gif
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2008
    Be happy to help :)

As Zuntar mentioned, please let us know your system specs.. specifically your motherboard, memory and cooling.
  • MisterJefMisterJef Laval,Qc,Canada
    edited July 2008
    ok

CPU : AMD 6000+ DuoCore

MotherBoard : Asus M2N-E

Memory : 2 GiG of Ram

for my cooling of my CPU i have this Fan http://www.nathanm.com/images/blog/Zalman.jpg

Need more Info?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    more specific on the memory:speed, timings, brand.

From what i read the board will overclock fairly well, but you'll want to update the bios before we start.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    What power supply unit are you using?
    edited July 2008
    As Leo mentioned, what PSU are you using? We'll need some more info on your RAM, but assuming its a value brand, try the following as a first step:

Increase Reference Clock (probably called FSB in your bios, or cpu clock, or something to that effect) to 207MHz.

Since you've got a 6000+, your memory frequency will be lower than 800MHz by default, and should be safe until you really start boosing the frequency. That should take you to 3.1GHz. Start increasing it by 2MHz at a time until you see some instability. Download and run a 'Large FFT' torture test in Prime95 v25 after every increase to test.

Let us know how far you can get using what I described above. Based on my experience with the 6000+, 3.1-3.2GHz should be possible without voltage increases. Beyond that, things get toasty. With a 15x multiplier, you shouldn't need to worry about the HT frequency.. the chip will probably top out long before you max it out.
    edited July 2008
    my power supply is a 620 watt and my ram is

Dual DDR2 SDRAM
    64 bits
    CPU/8
    DDR2-800(400mhz)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Mr.Jef, sorry, but we were not specific enough. What brand of PSU is it? It can make a difference. There is a huge difference in 'quality' of power output between different brands of PSUs with the same nominal voltage specifications.
    edited July 2008
    lemonlime i dont understand the program XD
    edited July 2008
    MisterJef wrote:
    lemonlime i dont understand the program XD

Prime95?

Take a look at my old OC tools guide from back in 2006. Much of it is still relevant. May help you. http://icrontic.com/articles/a64_overclocking_tools