Agh. DDR2 SDRAM?

edited July 2008 in Hardware
Mmk, so I'm building a pc. It's not gonna be pwnsome. It's prolly gonna just be meh to most standards, because I just can't afford it. But here's my real problem.

I recently just noticed that the mobo that I bought only supports DDR2 SDRAM. Because I don't have stable knowledge in memory, I just went all "agh" over myself. I don't know, but I thought DDR2 SDRAM lacks performance, does it not? Is this something to be worried about? I'd at least like to have adequate ram.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    The world's most popular type of memory is currently DDR2.
  • edited July 2008
    *Slaps forhead* Ugh, I feel a little foolish now.

Know I see that because SDRAM is most widely used, most retailers might not include it in the product name (staples.ca >.>) so when I saw DDR2 PC2xxxx, I had thought that PC2 was a memory type, rather than just being a denote of the sticks speed/performance. Then when I saw product names that did include SDRAM in the name I had thought it was less used memory type, but really I hadn't seen that it's the RAM that I see everywhere.

I know that was a little scrambled.. Anyone care to tell me if I've found my way?

So if I saw something like, (just a random stick) "GB Micro 1GB DDR2 PC5300/4200 Memory", I i could put it in my slot?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    PC5300/4200 Memory
    What motherboard? As far as DDR2 goes, that's about the slowest RAM you can get. "GB Micro?" Hmm, sounds like you are shopping at a local office store or something. Most likely, you'll pay two to three times at a local store for mediocre RAM as online for good stuff.

Please let us know for which motherboard you will purchase memory.
  • edited July 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    What motherboard? As far as DDR2 goes, that's about the slowest RAM you can get. "GB Micro?" Hmm, sounds like you are shopping at a local office store or something. Most likely, you'll pay two to three times at a local store for mediocre RAM as online for good stuff.

Please let us know for which motherboard you will purchase memory.

Like I said, I just randomly picked a stick of memory, I don't plan on buying such. I plan on buying Kingston ram, btw.

My motherboard is here. I didn't buy it online however, rather at the local computer hardware store.
    edited July 2008
    It will use DDR2 800/PC2 6400 or higher.
  • edited July 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    It will use DDR2 800/PC2 6400 or higher.
    Thanks for clearing things up, Leonardo.

edit - Bleh, I feel noob.
    edited July 2008
    Bleh, I feel noob.
    It's much better to ask noob questions than to jump into something and waste noob dollars!
  • edited July 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    It's much better to ask noob questions than to jump into something and waste noob dollars!
    Ahaha. :D