The monitor has ceased to work

CalypzeCalypze Stockholm, Sweden
edited July 2008 in Hardware
All of a sudden today when I started my computer, the monitor didn't work. It worked perfectly fine earlier today, but at the afternoon, it didn't (I had the computer off for a while).

The computer appear to work. One hears the various starting sounds Windows pop out and so. And it work to login as well (judging by sounds). So everything except the monitor appear to work. When I start the computer, it makes no difference to the monitor, it acts just as if the computer is off. So I would guess that the problem is in the monitor, not the computer.

I've heard that such problems are sometimes solved by having the monitor's cables out for an hour or so, so that something in it will be resetted. I tried that, but to no avail. I also checked if everything in the back was alright, and it appears so. I even tried to vacuum-clean off the dust behind it. Nothing helped.

I can't think of anything I've done that may hasve caused this, it was totally unexpected. Does anyone has any idea of what might have caused it and how to solve it?

The computer in question (not the one I'm writing from) uses Windows Vista Home Edition and has a flat widescreen monitor.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    What model of monitor? Is the monitor getting power (Is the light on on the front panel)? What color is the light when the computer is off? When the computer is on?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Can you test your monitor on some else's computer? At this point, it is unknown whether the problem is your monitor or your computer's video card, or video (GPU) chip on the motherboard (if you computer doesn't have a video card).
  • CalypzeCalypze Stockholm, Sweden
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

It appears now to be the case that the problem is in the computer, and not the monitor. After pressing F10 during the start, I got into some sort of menu (though I didn't dare to try to change anything there). Since that, when I start the computer, the HP Invent logo and the Windows loading screen pass by normally. When it is then supposed to enter the sign in page, it doesn't do that. Instead is is just black. I can however see and move the mouse. This happens both when I try normal mode and safe mode.