Racing Games.

TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
edited August 2008 in Gaming
Ok, Thanks to my wonderful cousin coming over to visit me over the last week I am now craving a good racing game to sink my teeth into. I just played threw carbon (finally) and actually found it to be a great time waster. I'm looking for something on the computer and something that won't have super high specs like lets say. . . Any racing game that was made within the past 2ish years.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance,
TvManPwns :D

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    DiRT.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited July 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    DiRT.

Mmk, I'll try it. I'm just hoping ill be able to even play it somewhat smoothly on UBER low settings. Thanks for suggestion Thrax
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    GRID
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Carbon is for ricers. Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed is where it's at.
    edited July 2008
    Ah, ty for all of the suggestions so far! Keep em coming though if you think of any cause I have a funny feeling that I'm gonna be on this kick for a while! ;)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    You picked the right place to ask. Racing is one of my favorite genres.

Obviously, DiRT and GRiD are incredible games despite stupid names. Both by Codemasters. They're both kind of close to full sim, but are really more super fun arcade racers with a touch of uber realism. The damage modelling is top notch. Downside, graphics are very very nice, so requirements are on the high side. There are demos for both games, so try before you buy.

Race Driver 3: Another Codemaster's racer. This one's about 4 years old now, so you can play it smoothly on any PC. It's got a more archaic version of Dirt/Grid's damage modelling, so it's still fun to smash. Racing physics are pretty good, still not quite full sim. The online play is AWESOME. But full of mostly Europeans who still play it obsessively. Doesn't mean you can't crash them and go for the W, but you didn't hear me say that.

NfS: Porsche Unleased: Very presigious. It's old, but man, is it good. Probably the best in the NFS series.

NASCAR: 2003 season: By Papyrus. If you're into the oval track, you'll find no better game. The physics are unrivaled for the stock car circuit. Damage modelling it pretty good, and lots of nice customization options. Plus you can't beat the feeling of being stuck in the middle of a 42 car pack going 180mph. Older game, so easy graphics (but still look pretty nice)

Grand Prix Legends: Also by Papyrus. This game is LEGENDARY for it's extremely accurate driving physics and brutal learning curve. If you're looking for the most realistic of the real racing sims, look no further. This game came out in '98 I believe, but subsequent patches and mods have pushed it to beyond perfection. Serious sim racers only. Don't even bother if you can't get into that genre, this game is THE hardcore racing sim.

GTR2: A more modern sim racer by SimBin. Runs great on almost all systems. This is another very accurate racing sim, focuses on FIA GT racing series. Very challenging, and it's an absolute reward to master. If you like the realistic sims but can't get into GP Legends due to it's age or extreme learning curve, this is probably a better place to start. Nice selection of tracks and options.

Flatout 2: A very over-the-top arcade racer that focuses on crashing. Lots of great rigid-body physics (stacked boxes, logs, buildings, you name it). A big enough crash will send your driver out of the car in a rag-doll physics object, and you watch them slam into objects and other cars. Highly entertaining, simple to play but tons of replay value and fun.

That should do it for now, that covers almost all the different arms of racing games. Most of these have demos out, so give them a shot!
    edited July 2008
    :D TY! Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions UPSLynx!!!
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    What Lynx said (Especially GPL, my fav!)

On top of that a bunch of people I know from racing like to mess around with rFactor. I haven't played it yet but it seems pretty well respected and impressive. It not only has some good graphics and physics but the mod community is pretty impressive, there are hundreds of different tracks and series that can be downloaded. I plan on trying it once I free up some time in the next month or so.

http://www.rfactor.net/

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/index.cfm (Big community site)
    edited July 2008
    So far i've tried the NfS: Porsche Unleased and am loving it! Thanks for the suggestions, I'm gonna have to play threw the other games once i'm done this one! ^_^
    edited July 2008
    pseudonym wrote:
    What Lynx said (Especially GPL, my fav!)

On top of that a bunch of people I know from racing like to mess around with rFactor. I haven't played it yet but it seems pretty well respected and impressive. It not only has some good graphics and physics but the mod community is pretty impressive, there are hundreds of different tracks and series that can be downloaded. I plan on trying it once I free up some time in the next month or so.

http://www.rfactor.net/

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/index.cfm (Big community site)

Dah! Of course! How could I forget rFactor??!

I haven't played it either, but I've heard nothing but great things about it's driving physics and modding community. Another great game if you're looking for a solid sim racer.

I knew pseudonym would have my back here
    edited July 2008
    Am actually downloading rFactor as I post! Loooking forward to it, seems like a huge community built around the game and I can't wait to test it out. :D
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to have to go get a wheel if you guys start playing rFactor!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Do you have foot pedals and a stick? That's the only way to go!
    edited July 2008
    Buddy J wrote:

Nope, I tried using that stuff on the consoles and found I prefured the controller. Because of that I haven't deamed it worth investing in a set for the comp.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Both GRID & Dirt are very hot games and are to much fun to play... GRID in my opinion blows GT Prologue out of the water.
    edited July 2008
    Both GRID & Dirt are very hot games and are to much fun to play... GRID in my opinion blows GT Prologue out of the water.

I haven't had a lot of time with GT Prologue (don't own a PS3) but I'd have to agree for the most part. And I'm a huge GT fan. But GRiD just has an incredible fun factor to it. Takes the static monotony away that GT usually produces. The racing is intense, and the presentation style just can't be beaten.

I've watched more replays in GRiD because of it's intense cinematography than I have with any other racing game.
    edited August 2008
    Buddy J wrote:

I absolutely DESPISE foot pedals. I'm so trained in feel that I just can't get used to them. I much preferred wheels where the paddles in the back were actually usable as gas and brake but no one makes them like that anymore. Now everything is set up where the back paddles are only good as shifters.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited August 2008

I have to totally agree with you, I'm loving GRID on my 360 at the min... Altough BF: Bad Company has taken over!! lol..