My PC restarts itself

edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hi there, I have a Dell Dimension 5150, and today it did restart itself for no reason. The power light was blinking yellow like in Stand By mode only after I hold the button to shut it down completely I could get it started again but since then it shuts itself regularly. It stays on for about 15-45sec. Actually I thought that it fails to boot because it was running for quite awhile if I unplug the HDD than I decided to reinstall Windows XP. It did install it and actually booted it so I could see the desktop screen for about 10-15sec then it shut itself again. So I don't think to booting is the problem. I doubt is overheating because all the fans are working. However a couple of days ago I bought new power supply which is about 500W which is 150W bigger than the old old one (I don't think that is the problem but just saying). I read that could be caused by several problems but the only 2 that i cannot test are the motherboard or the CPU. So if you have any ideas what should be please help me out here Thanks in advance!

PS If you need any more information just say so. :wink:

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    ya this could be caused by many things.

first off, what brand of psu did you buy and what are its specs?
    are you running any type of add on graphics card?

let me know, and ill help you further. :p
  • edited July 2008
    Ok here we go some updates. First the power supply is 480W GenMax ATX Switching Power Supply and the video card is Ati Radeon 1900GT 256MB. Yesterday I was checking a lot of stuff and had it going but I had to swich off the multiple core and take out the video card. Without those 2 things it runs kinda fine a little bit slower but it does not shut down :D. I think is some kind of overheating because when I took out the radiator on the processor it did shut down in the same was but whole lot faster. Actually, I dont remember what check I did but it told me that my Motherboard battery is running low on voltage and Fan2(or something like that) was not working at a full speed or somthing. I took it to a shop so a guy more knowledgeable than me could see it but I was not quite success there either because the only thing he said was it could be the motherboard or the processor. So... I dont know what to think if it is the motherboard or the processor it should not work right now, right? Ok I hope that is going to make the problem more clear than complicaded :).
    edited July 2008
    sounds to me like it could be an overheating issue, but what are the specs on this psu? what are the amperages and stuff like that. i need more than the overall wattage. first thing is to try a different psu, if you have one laying around that you trust, hook it up and see if you get the same results.
  • edited July 2008
    ok it is 50hz on 100-130V and AC In Put 8A on +3.3V is + 32.0A, +5V is +36.0A, +12V is +16.0A, -5V is -0.6A, -12V is -0.6A, and +5VSB is +2.0A. I am sorry is not a graph but that is what i can do :). If it is overheating how I can resolve the problem while all the fans are working as long as I see :)
  • edited July 2008
    I tried to run some tests with FanSpeed but it doesn't allow me to see the fans at all only the HDD which i guess is running kinda hot on 65C. However here the images from FanSpeed anyway it could help. http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hddeo7.png my.php?image=hddio3.png and http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdd2mt0.pngmy.php?image=hdd2mt0.png
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    blokeri wrote:
    ok it is 50hz on 100-130V and AC In Put 8A on +3.3V is + 32.0A, +5V is +36.0A, +12V is +16.0A, -5V is -0.6A, -12V is -0.6A, and +5VSB is +2.0A. I am sorry is not a graph but that is what i can do :). If it is overheating how I can resolve the problem while all the fans are working as long as I see :)

Your 12V is 18A too low for your system. Go buy a MODERN POWER SUPPLY.
  • edited July 2008
    Your 12V is 18A too low for your system. Go buy a MODERN POWER SUPPLY.

Are you serious I JUST BOUGHT THAT!!! :confused: the guy said it is better than the old actually the old one is 15A on 12V and how come it worked for about a day without a problem :confused::confused::confused: hmm ok then what kind of specs are good so this time I will buy the right thing
    edited July 2008
    you need to get one with dual rails. i recommend the following psu's...

Antec Earthwatts 380Watt 80-Plus Certified $39.99 w/ Free Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

Rosewill 500Watt Dual Rail PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182016

personally, i'd go with the antec. these certainly aren't your only choices, just some budget good solid power supplies that will easily meet your needs.
  • edited July 2008
    ok guys I really appreciate all the info and help it will be quite a relieve if it is the power but explain me this how 380W and 500W will do but 480W will not ??!! is the one I have bad or something?
  • edited July 2008
    OK I see its not so much about the Watts but the Amps :D those have 20-30A on +3.3V :eek: wow OK thanks a lot guys I will check tomorrow with the guy in the shop if he has some of these babys. Thanks again I will keep you updated ;)
    edited July 2008
    yea, you got it. the amperage is the main thing. that antec might not be a ton of wattage, but its 80 plus certified so you know you're getting a true 380 watts. which really is a pretty decent amount of power, its those dinky little $15 PSU's with a single 12V rail that are super cheap and cant do much..
  • edited August 2008
    ha! I guess I was ripped off cause I paid $35 for that S*** :) but anyway as long as I do not have to replace the processor or the motherboard is all good. Once again thanks a lot!
    edited August 2008
    35? I paid 230 for my PSU and I didn't spend enough.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Unless you're paying $80 or more from a big, brand name, the power supply is probably very dangerous to use for the life of your PC.
    edited August 2008
    I bought my Thermaltake toughpower local. Payed out of the tooth for it, but it's a great PSU.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Now would be a sweet time to make use of our Marketplace feature here. It's set up to help you find the best deal on whatever you need.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Including the PSU that was recommended :)
  • edited August 2008
    ok I just ordered the 380W one and we will see probably on Wednesday :D
    edited August 2008
    cool. yea that psu is an awesome deal. wont power too much, but should be plenty for your needs. my 300watt oem dell psu powers my dell with a 7800gtx card with no problems. so a nice solid 80 plus certified antec should do just fine ;)
  • edited August 2008
    hey guys I just installed the new PSU it works GREAT!!! Thanks a lot! Strangely my 160GB WD hdd is running kinda hot about 60ish degrees Celsius which I dont think is good but I dont know on how many degrees it ran before, so if you have an idea how to cool it down before burning it :) thanks again about the PSU :D
    edited August 2008
    no problem, glad to hear its working for ya!

for harddrive cooling, take a look at this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200033

that isnt the only one available, just an example. you'll have to research a bit to see what will fit in your case. usually buying one of these enclosures requires an open 5.25" bay so make sure you have one available or that you will be able to sacrifice a drive.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    My PC actually does this on a regular basis [every 2-3 days]. Only when it's in idle though and no; it's not an overheating issue. Late 40c early 50c is not hot enough to cause damage. Atleast on a consistant basis

Compaq Persario SR2170nx in you're interested.....
    edited August 2008
    Well, 50C is the "Cool it down now" temperature, just so you know.
    edited August 2008
    Well, 50C is the "Cool it down now" temperature, just so you know.

Last time I had an issue with overheating it hit 67C a little over 3 years ago. Melted my video card onto the heat sink, which fried it...Got home to the "smell of death" and a warped CPU :-/
    edited August 2008
    If you just replaced your CPU, and ran into this problem, I might venture a guess as something else got a bit too hot too.
    edited August 2008
    If you just replaced your CPU, and ran into this problem, I might venture a guess as something else got a bit too hot too.

This is a fairly new comp. Only about a year and a half old...

It's been happening since about week 2 :-/
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I have almost fallen into this trap myself. I have a few good solid and efficient PSUs around that I was going to use for a new build. The issue is that power usage in a computer has changed in the last few years. Back a few (before C2D) it was the CPU that used all of the power, so your 3.3V line was critical. Now you have lower power usage in CPU and high power usage in the video card which uses the 12V line.
  • edited August 2008
    yeah I actually bought this http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16835124018&ATT=17-507-003&CMP=AFC-C8Junction I guess is pretty much the same. I just hope it is going to cool it down enough ;) cause now it is working on around 62-64C the day before reached 75 :cool2: I just dont know how all of a sudden it started to work like that :confused: or just I wasnt aware of it till I installed SpeedFan
    edited August 2008
    Wow if you're getting those kind of HD temps, I feel sorry for your processor....
  • edited August 2008
    hah actually I dont know the temp of the processor the other hdd I have is around 40-45C. Do you what soft I can use to check that