NEW WIN SMP CLIENT

2»

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    When I set mine up in SMP mode, the -smp in advanced settings, when it launches it does an IO file write error and shuts down after like two attempts.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    just halts - won't restart, won't keep trying, just halts with an error
    Yup, I've seen that as well. This is not as reliable a client as was 5.92. Shame, 6.22 was supposed to be more stable. It's the opposite, it seems.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Update: it churned all night, 100% utilization of all cores, and didn't do much as give me the 0% checkpoint. It's just sitting there at "working." I'll check the forums later on at work, but this is getting ridiculous.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited August 2008
    you can roll back to the extended 5.9* client until they get it sorted.
    edited August 2008
    extended 5.9*
    ?
    edited August 2008
    Yeah they said in the forums that they were going to extend 5.9, in an extended client but have a lower point value. This was stated with the reasoning, I think I remember this way, to allow people to not change over yet while they are still working on the new 6 series client and fix some of the general issues and stability problems are that popping up.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited August 2008
    1st link in OP was to extended and deprecated 5.9 client
    [This is a duplicate of the post in the windows SMP beta section.]
    With the public beta release of the v6.22 SMP client, we encourage all our beta users to upgrade to that client. However, since the 5.91/5.92 beta expiration date is rapidly approaching, we have decided to extend those clients to allow users more time to upgrade (and to give us a little more time to work out the issues that invariably come up during public beta testing). Testing always uncovers bugs, which is why we do it. icon_smile.gif

So...
    Drop-in binary replacements for 5.91 and 5.92 beta clients are available at:
    <!-- m -->http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding ... MP-591.exe<!-- m -->
    <!-- m -->http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding ... MP-592.exe<!-- m -->

These expire on 11-02-2008. However, 5.91/5.92 lack necessary features to support the new SMP cores we have in development. Depending on the core release and migration schedule, SMP A1 work units may not be available for the entirety of this three-month period. The extension of 5.91/5.92 is intended to ease the transition process to 6.22 rather than replace it entirely.
    edited August 2008
    Two EUEs at exactly 23%. This client really needs some work.
    edited August 2008
    I've been having series failures lately - more than one like work unit failing at the same completion level. This has happened on three different machines. Hardware is unchanged form when I was running 5.9X.

Yeah, Stanford has experienced a lot of unanticipated problems with 6.2x. I have to keep reminding myself that I volunteered for this and that it (WinSMP) has never been called anything other than beta.

I am really looking forward to the new core, apparently still weeks away.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Two EUEs at exactly 23%. This client really needs some work.

You might try 6.22r2 for the EUE problem.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/08/update-on-winsmp-client-development.html

I'm still sitting at 0 percent and getting nowhere, even after moving back to 5.92 :( I think I am going to clear everything out and try again tonight.
    edited August 2008
    It's not that EUE behavior. It continues correctly, it just has a much higher prevalence of EUEs.
    edited August 2008
    I've had a some EUEs with the 6.22 client, but most of the failed work units just stalled and would not continue. I've had more failed units in roughly two weeks of 6.22 than I had the entire preceding year with other SMP clients, and that includes time as a beta work unit tester.
    edited August 2008
    Heh, another one. I think that's 4 in a row at 23%. I guess I'll try the R2 client anyway.
    edited August 2008
    I guess I'll try the R2 client anyway.
    All those errors I'm writing about above - guess which client. It's 6.22 Beta 2. :( If that's what you mean by "R2 client," help is not on the way.
    edited August 2008
    :(
    edited August 2008
    Why not just go back to 5.91/92? I'm thinking about doing that.
    edited August 2008
    I'll give it some time. Having let it run overnight, it's managed to hit 39% as of this morning, so I'll let it go and see what comes of it.
    edited August 2008
    Now even my Linux SMP client can't receive work. What is going on lately?
    edited August 2008
    You know, at this point, I'm just not gonna worry about too much. I figure the difficulties and reduction in productivity is probably hitting everyone. I will though, delete units that that stall. I've started a log of dud units, and if one downloads, I remove it and re-download until I get a different one. There is no point in wasting electricity on a unit that is guaranteed to stop half way through processing.
    edited August 2008
    Thats why I am just doing GPU right now
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    I figure the difficulties and reduction in productivity is probably hitting everyone.

I've been lucky so far. Since I got it running it has worked flawlessly.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    There were two 6.22beta2 clients released from the beginning. I only downloaded one because I still run my opteron but the second version was to fix something w/ intel quads I believe.
    Nevertheless ...6.22beta2r2 is a second release of the 6.22beta2 with fixes as described in my thread here ...http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73330

Give it a shot Leo!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Skip the R2 and go straight to R3. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4913
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I just noticed that R3 was released. We'll see how it goes. I've installed it in all my SMP client folders. Sure hope it's better. I've been averaging about one failed work unit a day out of eight SMP clients.