Abit iP35-e two short beeps.

edited August 2008 in Hardware
Allright, so here's what I got.

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz
2GB Ram
Abit iP35-e Mobo
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX (640mb)

Used to have 4 GB of ram but downgraded because someone needed some ram fast and vista32 cant cover 4gb anyways.

So here's my problem. After being on for about a day, the computer will start beeping at me with two short beeps, one higher pitched than the other, and about a half second inbetween, one second in length.

It will go like that for a while, then stop. Sometimes when I come home from work I will have a windows desktop that "Windows Has Just Recovered From An Unexpected Crash" or whatever.

Anyways, this never happened when I had all 4gb in there, and it only started happening since I reinstalled Vista.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2008
    Welcome to Icrontic, HavocAngel :) .

The meaning of a two short beep code for that board is pretty general- but I would suspect it does have something to do with the RAM change.

Do and check a few things-

As an immediate possible remedial action, I suggest that you go in and check to see if any connections might have come loose or off. Reseat you boards and cards. Were you using 2x2GB RAM or 4x1GB RAM? Check your motherboard manual to be sure of proper installation and test with Memtest for a full pass.

See if there is an error being posted in the Event Viewer:

Right-Click My Computer
    Select Manage|System Tools|Event Viewer|System and make note of any red X events- post back the details.

Also set up your PC to trap and hang on any Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) event. Make note of the code and message displayed if you get one and post it:

Go to the Control Panel
    Select System|Advanced and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    Look under System failure and uncheck the Automatically restart option and select Small memory dump (64 KB) under Write debugging information

Hopefully this gets you started and helps out. Let us know how it goes.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Have you reset the BIOS? You probably should. Run in defaults, then one by one, change the settings to where you want them.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    whats the Board say on the Error code panel? then look it up in your mobo manual, thats the beauty about the guru Abit has
  • edited August 2008
    Okay, so I checked the events, no X's,set it to hang on BSOD, then ran memtest. No errors, then I checked something, and I found out i'm an idiot ^_^

I have ddr2 ram and I had the two pieces set in slots 1 and 2, (two 1gb sticks) instead of 1 and 3, so i think that might fix the problem. Am I correct?

Okay so i reinstalled vista to be safe, and during the install, it beeped for about 50-60 seconds then stopped.

Problem not solved. :(
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Set the ram voltage to 1.9 - 2.0V.
  • edited August 2008
    Ok so now it's doing it when I'm extracting something from a rar, or transferring alot of data from one place or the other. . . I'll try what Ryder said.

---

Reset my bios to defaults, and ram was set to 1.8, is that bad?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2008
    HavocAngel wrote:
    I have ddr2 ram and I had the two pieces set in slots 1 and 2, (two 1gb sticks) instead of 1 and 3, so i think that might fix the problem. Am I correct?

Ok so now it's doing it when I'm extracting something from a rar, or transferring alot of data from one place or the other. . . I'll try what Ryder said.

---

Reset my bios to defaults, and ram was set to 1.8, is that bad?

That memory card setup (1,3 (or 2,4 for that matter)) is generally used for dual channel operation and should improve your performance- not necessarily fix your problem. Bascially, make sure you have reseated everything securely.

I'm not sure, but because of how your system is failing and it's consistent with the beeps- it's beginning to sound like a power supply issue.

Also, Ryder is an OCZ rep and has probably forgotten more about memory than the rest of us know (dam- is that a statement or what?). Give it a shot and let us know-
  • edited August 2008
    Hm, so I've let it go about a day now after resetting my bios and it hasn't beeped at me once yet. Dunno what it was, but it fixed it i guess.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Let's assume for a moment that there was a BIOS setting causing the problem. If you wish to determine which BIOS setting may have caused the problem, return your BIOS settings to the way they were before, but one setting at a time. If/when the problem returns, you'll know which setting caused it.
  • edited August 2008
    sounds good, i'll try that out. and Thanks for the help guys ^_^