Windows does not see full size of hard drive

SquatSquat Michigan
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hi,
I have been a member for quite a while but don't get around very often. I have a problem. I built a computer for someone, then stupidly let it go without virus protection for a couple weeks. When they told me it wasn't working I knew imediatly what was wrong. The computer was completly infested with viruses.
I had all important files backed up so I figured no big deal, I will just reinstall windows and start from scratch. I proceeded to do that, but windows would only detect 131gb of a 250gb hard drive. The bios detects a 250 gb hard drive, and I ran the Hitashi drive fitness test recomended here, but it reported that the drive was fine.
I tried to install windows, but in the blue text based install section it kept failing to install files. I tried multiple times and used another windows disk thinking that was the problem. Well I did finally get windows to install, but I now have a very hard time getting any thing to install. And windows still only sees 131gb.
Any thoughts you have would be very helpful. I am out of thoughts.
Thanks,
Squat

P.S.
E8400 core 2
Abit IP35P
2gb ddr 800 ocz platinum
Seagate Barracuda ES ST3250620NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCIe x16

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Which version of Windows and which service pack?
  • SquatSquat Michigan
    edited August 2008
    I am trying to install windows xp, and the disk I am using does not have any service packs on it.
    Also when I had windows installed I could not get any service pack to install.
    thanks
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    There's the problem. You're going to have to install at least SP1a. We have a guide on how to slipstream service packs into a Windows install CD, which would benefit you immensely. Let me find the link, or someone else will post it here.

//EDIT: The guide. You should be able to work this without having to install service packs.
  • SquatSquat Michigan
    edited August 2008
    Well I should have been more specific the first xp disk I used had sp2 integrated on it, but it still didn't see the hard drive right, and had problems installing windows. It kept saying "could not install file". And this was in the blue text based install section.
    edited August 2008
    Could be bad media. Can you burn another copy somewhere?
  • SquatSquat Michigan
    edited August 2008
    Are you talking about a new copy of windows. I have to copies, one with sp2 included one without. I finally managed to install windows from disk without sp2.
    I hope that clears it up a little.

Also will xp without service packs not see a certain size hard drive?

thanks again
    edited August 2008
    Squat wrote:
    Also will xp without service packs not see a certain size hard drive?

Correct. Windows XP without any service pack will come up against a 147GB drive size limit. Get thee to a service pack quickly!
  • SquatSquat Michigan
    edited August 2008
    I spent some time last night working on the computer. I used the xp sp2 cd to reinstall windows, and reformated the entire drive. Once formating finished the cd proceeded to try to load windows (still in blue text based screen), but kept saying "setup could not load file press enter to try again esc to skip". I ran into this before with this disk, I think there is something wrong with the disk.

When I have previously installed windows with the staight xp disk, I get through with the windows install, I am not able to install any service packs. The file will start unpacking, but then says file corrupt. I know that that is not the case because I have used the exact same copy of the file on another computer, and it worked fine.

Completely confused,
    Squat
    edited August 2008
    Your XP SP2 CD seems to be scratched. Not sure why you're having problems installing the service packs though. What if you install the service pack-free version and try updating through Windows Update?
  • SquatSquat Michigan
    edited August 2008
    Last night I slipstreamed Windows (from my non scratched disk) with all service packs and drivers. Install went ok at first, but once I was into the gui part of install it crashed during install multiple times. Did manage to install windows, but things are deffinitely not right. Found new hardware wizard popped up for things it never had before.

Was wondering if it could possibly be a memory or cpu problem instead.

Still at a loss,
    edited August 2008
    For RAM, run [http://www.memtest.org/]Memtest[/url] and see what happens. Also, if you have access to a spare machine, try the slipstreamed install CD and see if it works. If it does your original machine has hardware issues, and we'll address those. But first, check the RAM with Memtest and report back.
  • SquatSquat Michigan
    edited August 2008
    Eureka, after all this trying and failing it was the memory that was bad the entire time. I ran memtest, and got 433 errors in the first pass. Going to send it back to newegg for replacement.

Thanks very much for your help Kwitko.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Wish all threads like this were that easy. Boy howdy.