Video Encoding for XBOX 360?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Internet & Media
My XBOX 360 see's my NAS server and is able to play a couple videos I had on it which is awesome because this box is my everything box from being a web server to bittorrent client. But some movies are not able to be shown and I know why but the question is if I want to re-encode these videos which is the preferred method? Hints at resolution, FPS, and codec's used would be great information if someone knows.

I know what it supports but I figured someone might know which it supports better, with better file sizes as well.

Comments

• TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    You'll find all the information on the supported video formats on the 360 here.
    I also thought that I might add that the 360 is able to play ripped .VOB files as long as they are ripped into a solid .VOB rip and not broken up into smaller segments. If you have any solid .VOB movie files you will also have to change the file extention to .MPEG. This trick doesn't work with every video (like the Ratatoulie movie) and its finicky, but still worth a try if you have any and don't feel like re-encoding all of them.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    IIRC, the Xbox can play DivX, XviD, WMV, H.264 and MPEG-4. I'm guessing XviD should be the best but other than that, I don't really think you have to change anything.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I was gonna use SUPER to do the work for me, but found this, gonna try it out and see how it works.

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/Xbox360/
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    FWIW, that program came out before the update that included support for the recent codecs. SUPER does have presets. Select avi as the output container, xvid as the codec, choose the ratio and res of the original file, fps is 25 I think.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    FPS 23.976.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    And Videora isn't the best in the world. WinAVI is not only the fastest, it can convert anything to mp4.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    As an aside, if you don't want to re-encode and wait, there are applications that transcode on-the-fly. I've used Transcode360 in combination with Windows Media Center and used the 360 as an extender. Right now, though, I use TVersity. It works a lot better, and it's quicker.