Low Virtual Memory During XP Install

edited August 2008 in Hardware
I had major virus issues with my system so I tried to use the Dell restore feature that uses Norton Ghost 10. The viruses corrupted the backups which Norton created so I decided to try to wipe out my PC with a disk wipe program on CD. For some reason the system claims the CD-Rom can't be recognized. Once this message appeared I decided to reinstall XP. For some reason the XP disk starts with no problem. It made it as far as restarting the system. The second XP attempts to finish the install a screen appears stating that my virtual memory is too low to continue the install. Once this occurs the system restarts. This process continues over and over. What is the problem with the system? Due to the system attemping the Norton reinstall the entire original install of XP got corrupted. Is there any kind of way for me to get the Cd-Rom to recognize the disk wipe program to possibly eliminate any of the viruses that may still be on the disk? I need help!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Before you started the restoration and installation, how much disk free space was there? To me, this seems like the there is not enough free space to move all the files around and to store the necessary temporary files for Windows to reinstall. Did you elect to format the previous Windows installation? It may not be that simple a problem, but that's all I can think of right now.
  • edited August 2008
    Only about 25% of the the disk space was used. What does disk space have to do with wiping the drive? The low memroy issue comes up during the reinstall process. I've already reformatted the hard drive. With the prior version of windows I also received a "Dirty Disk" error during the chkdsk process. Would this have something to do with the low memory issue?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Sorry, I'm stumped on this one. Maybe someone else has a solution or troubleshooting step for you.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    sounds to me like you have a failing harddrive.
  • edited August 2008
    I got it to work! During the installation process, I had to select the longer version of the disk format. After selecting this everything worked fine!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    That's very peculiar, but great!
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    i would be very weary of that. if you experience anything acting weird in xp, such as programs encountering errors, programs not installing correctly etc. you might want to look into a new hdd and back up your data if there's anything important you cannot loose.

how old is that hdd btw?