This thing any good?

2»

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    :rolleyes:

Believe it or not I've seen a V9+ perform on par with an SLK-800; in fact, I did the test myself.

I brought my SLK-800 in to work, and slapped it on one of the CAD/CAM machines that had a V9+ on it, and I used the SF2 off the V9, on full speed (which is what it was set at on the V9 too), and they performed identically according to MBM5.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I'm looking at February as upgrade month
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Then maybe getting an SLK-900A now might be worth it... Joe got a good deal on that and an Enermax adjustable fan somewheres...

Geeky: How loud is that fan at full speed? ;)
    edited December 2003
    Ok, ok, so it's loud at full speed. But the only other thermally controlled fan that has enough power to be of any use is the Vantec Thermoflow, and that's an exhaust fan only, since it's got a built-in thermistor.

The SF2's speed vs. temp. curve is also much steeper than other thermal fans; it hits full speed @ 55*C or so, vs. ~70*C for other fans.

But, it will never hit full speed in normal circumstances, so it doesn't really matter. The point of having an extremely powerful thermally controlled fan is that if you ever DO need the performance, it's there.
    edited December 2003
    True - I was just asking about the volume at full speed because that's the speed at which you tested both of the heatsinks at - I'm willing to wager that at lower speeds, the SLK was A LOT better of a cooler, and that even the generic aluminum would perform decently with the SF2 at full roar... ;)

I mean, heck, I great temps off of my SLK900A with a 32CFM case fan on it right now!
    /me grumbles about losing the 53CFM Mechatronics fan and having to wait to OC the Barton again...
    edited December 2003
    I'm not worried about performance. I want:

1 Quiet
    2 Not to melt my proc.
    3 Not to crush my proc. core

I have no other concerns, and I never overclock.
    edited December 2003
    Oh, it won't melt... it'll just fry crispy... I got a fried XP2100+ you can check out if you'd like! ;)
    edited December 2003
    What about those haet sinks that have no fan?
    edited December 2003
    Not recommended for AMD processors. There's only one that I know of that even works decently at all, and it's for a P4.

And by "decently" I mean it doesn't kill the processor. But it doesn't run exactly "cool" either...
    edited December 2003
    See what GH said for my opinion of fanless heatsinks.

CB, the SF2 is the best fan for any application taking 80mm fans. Trust me on this one- I've been through in excess of 50 80mm fans looking for one that offers the best compromise between noise and performance. The SF2 is it.

It offers thermal control, manual control, or constant full speed operation. It flows up to 75cfm, and the noise level is as low as <20dBA. It's well suited to any application from silent cooling to extreme overclocking.

You simply can't go wrong with the SmartFan 2. I can honestly say, that out of the more than 50 80mm fans I have, the SmartFan2s are the best.
    edited December 2003
    Okay, thanks guys. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle...