yet another potential rig to rip up,,,, please

cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Hardware
so, i'm primarily a creature/character animator and this is my proposed rig.

which....i'm buying within days.

it'll usually be running maya or softimage,
with photoshop, a massive music file, and civilization oft running at the same time (although not while rendering)

i'm a bit of a noob with hardware so please tell me what you think.

i've already seen a comment about the mother board on a different thread.
my answer to why i've picked it? it seems like a stable board for beginners. if you have a better choice i would very much appreciate your input.

so thank you in advance.

have at;

quadro fx 3700
(already purchased at a steep discount)

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail
HIPER OSIRIS HTC-1K514 Black 6063 T5 Alloy ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail (i'm considering going 8gigs)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
this drive will be for storage

and i'm thinking a 160 gig for os and programs....
but where should i put my scratch drive? at least on a second partition.

oh, and is it worth getting the quad core for fifty dollars more than this:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8600 - Retail

feel free to tell me if i'm going overboard any where.

p.s. i'm going to brave vista.

thank you

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Given that you're an animator/renderer, I would definitely go quad! You'll essentially get 80% or 100% again more performance, because Maya/XSI/3DSMax and all those programs are aware of up to 8 cores in some cases.

I think, in your specific case, 8GB would not also be unreasonable for memory. For many, I would say "Why?" but modeling and animating is very taxing. I think it might be a good idea, especially given the price of today's memory. Cheap!

These days it doesn't matter TOO much where you put your scratch drive, but if you wanted to do it the "ideal" way, you would give it its own partition as the first partition on a new drive. That'll give it all the extra speed it can get without buying exotic drives or organizing your drives in exotic ways.

Otherwise, you have picked an extremely, extremely capable system and I commend you.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    Great choice of components. But, i have a cuople suggestions...

Take a look at this motherboard, it's one of the highest rated P45 motherboard's that ASUS manufactures and is extremely popular. The ASUS P5Q Deluxe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297

Also, that motherboard will accept DDR2 1200 at stock clocks, so take a look at some faster ram. Now im not an expert in 3d rendering programs, but guessing by what Thrax says they are very ram intensive, correct me if i'm wrong. So, consider a couple kits of the following ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227184
    edited August 2008
    RAM bandwidth is relatively unimportant for modeling. It's all about capacity, not speed.

The motherboard he chose is better suited for his task.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    well i learned something about modeling hardware requirements then.
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    thank you so much guys,

very, very helpful.

and it's given me the boost i needed to actually rip out my debit card and purchase the beast.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:

The motherboard she chose is better suited for her task.

fix'd

This build makes me jealous :-/

As stated though, it's a very capable system. You'll have no problems whatsoever. Rendertimes will be quick and playblast should be a joke.
    cherplunka wrote:
    and it's given me the boost i needed to actually rip out my debit card and purchase the beast.

pics or it didn't happen!
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    how about a picture of the receipts?

by themselves they're nearly enough to stop a girl's heart.
    yet, only fifty dollars over my budget.
    edited August 2008
    My apologies. She. :)

And also, welcome to Icrontic. Hope you stick around and enjoy our offerings.
    edited August 2008
    Any proof is good proof. But We've got to see it once you get it built. This is the kind of crowd that'll quite literally drool over such a thing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect
    drools
    Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    drools
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    drool...
    edited August 2008
    This drool smells of bawls, beer, and scotch!