Online Backup Sites - Recommendations, Tips, Opinions Requested

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
Anybody use any of the remote backup sites like Carbonite and Mozy? I'm looking to backup keep files like financial data, pictures, and important documents. I have about 750 GB of movies, music, comics, etc as well, but I don't think the upload speeds are fast enough to really make uploading that much data for backup...

Just curious what anyone else is doing as I currently have 4 harddrives and just back up the primary 2 to the backup 2.
Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Check out BackBlaze.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Preacher, good to see you here online!

Sorry, but I don't get it. Why would you want remote backup when you clearly have the technical know-how to backup to external drives? Is this a security issue - not having all your eggs in the same location?

Check your PMs. :)
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I've just started using Carbonite. $50 per year, unlimited. I've got 85GB out there right now. If you lose everything you just download their client and log in.

Leo, I still run anything important on RAID 1 and backup to a separate PC over LAN, but it's just the added security that if everything else fails or goes up in flames you still won't lose data.

EDIT: Also, Preacher. The initial backup took 1 week for ~85GB, and since then the incremental backups go unnoticed by me. It could go faster if you have a good upload; I'm stuck at ~640kbps up. My test restore also was limited by my home connection with 7000kbps down.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, Prime. That definitely looks like a possibility...now I have to decide between between Carbonite, Backblaze, and Mozy.

Leo,
    Sorry for the delay. I just replied back to your PM. Sorry to be gone for SO long...Just dropped out of the Icrontic Life. Nothing intentional or any issue with anyone/anything on the site; life and laziness just kinda got in the way.

It's not really a security issue, and I do have an additional backup. However, if the house burned down and I lost my pictures, financial data, family files, papers, etc. It would MAJORLY SUCK.

Mason,
    Your reasoning and technical plan are very similar to mine. I'm not running RAID, but I do have a simple backup schedule. It seems like you'd recommend Carbonite?
    While I thought I had a fast cable modem in Maine, I'm on a FIOS fiber connection now with 20 Mbps/20 Mbps. It's unreal. I'm actually considering uploading all the other digital detritus I've bought, burned, bartered for, or burglarized over the last 10 years. I have 800 Gb of schtuff....

I'm feeling wild and crazy enough to try uploading it all over a month or two...