My computer and Drive issue

edited September 2008 in Hardware
I keep getting the error message when using my external hard drive: H:/ parameter is not accessible. Or when I access the drive, my computer won't respond. The external drive was fine a minute ago.

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    sounds like the drive or controller might have failed. take the drive out of the enclosure and try to run it through the motherboard's controller.
  • edited September 2008
    sounds like the drive or controller might have failed. take the drive out of the enclosure and try to run it through the motherboard's controller.

How do I do that? It is an external drive
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    Take the case apart, and remove the harddrive. Once you get to that point post back and describe the type of connector you have..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Before you going that far, try a simpler troubleshooting step: 1) power off the external drive, and restart it; then 2) power off the drive, shut down the computer and restart. I doubt that will fix the problem, but it's less invasive than removing the drive and is a good start for testing.