Magic's Unfattening

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Fitness
Hey. Thanks to Thrax, shorty, prof, and everyone else that has done an amazing job in getting fit over the last few months/years. I decided that is about time that i do something about my health. I'm no lazy ass by any means. I play lacrosse here and there, and mountainbike 4-5 miles every day(that my bike isn't broken.). I just struggle to drop lbs.

I started by reading the article Thrax posted and came up with this routine to start.

A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
2x15 NS Situps
3x8 Lateral DB Raise
2x5 Dips

B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Military press
5x3 Power cleans
2x15 Ab pulldowns
3x8 DB curls
3x8 BB curls

As the article says ill do this in a A B A and B A B schedule alternating weeks working out on mon. wed. and fri. Ill do 30 minutes of cardio before every workout. And on off days i will be doing my usual bike riding.

As far as nutrition im still looking for more info on what i should be doing if anyone has any ideas for a good starting guide or sites that have a good info on nutrition. Ive already cut soda, and started on all water/juice. No junk foods.

I still need to calculate the daily calories im supposed to take in and all that jazz but for tonight im going to the gym to start and figure out what i can do weight and fine tune what i can do rep wise.

Any suggestions on what i should change for my workout or other general tips anything is welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Just abstain from any cardio while you're busy building muscle. Cardio will reduce the amount of calories being spent on producing new muscle tissue, because they'll be going to fueling the metabolic processes behind cardio. Weightlifting will do plenty to knock out extra fat and will organically reduce the appearance of fat by reducing your body fat percentage. If you're going to do some warmups, just stick to some light cycling or jump-roping for 5-8 minutes, then hit the iron.

If you want to follow that Rippetoes plan, I suggest the following:

CALORIES PER DAY: Bodyweight * 18 = A
    CALORIES IN PROTEIN PER DAY: (A * .40) = B
    CALORIES IN CARBS PER DAY: (A * .30) = C
    CALORIES IN FAT PER DAY: (A * .30) = D

GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER DAY: B / 4
    GRAMS OF CABS PER DAY: C / 4
    GRAMS OF FAT PER DAY: D / 4

For me it's 3060 calories, using 306g of protein, 229g of carbs and 102g of fat. You can look at my fitday to see what kinds of foods I'm eating to achieve these goals. Eat this quantity 6 days a week. On day 7, have some fun, just don't go ape****. Divide these requirements (Not necessarily evenly, that's too hard) across six daily meals.

Drink WEIGHT * .66 in ounces of water per day, divided across six daily meals.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Just abstain from any cardio while you're busy building muscle. Cardio will reduce the amount of calories being spent on producing new muscle tissue, because they'll be going to fueling the metabolic processes behind cardio. Weightlifting will do plenty to knock out extra fat and will organically reduce the appearance of fat by reducing your body fat percentage.

I disagree heavily. If you are trying to lose weight, by all means do cardio. Just don't do overkill. Couple times a week on your non-lifting days would be good. Go for a bike ride, running, whatever you take pleasure in.

Also, don't get so hung up on the dietary aspects. You're not a body builder, no one here really is. Playing with minuet nutrient ratios is pointless. Eat more meat, fruits, vegetables, opt for whole grains, and drink milk or water. Your body will take care of the rest. Eat 4-6 times a day, try to keep carbs in your earlier meals.

When you hit a wall in six months or a year, then we can talk about carb cycling, calorie counting and macronutrient ratios. For now, none of that really matters if you don't get a good foundation going.
    edited September 2008
    I guess it's important to define what you're going for, Magic. Rippetoes is strongly designed to build muscle... The whole plan is centered around it. If you do cardio and Rippetoes, you'll mostly maintain existing muscle while you lose body fat, but if you're expecting to get ripped, muscles come first and cardio comes second. What are your goals?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Well, i want to get some definition and build muscle. Should i first try to burn off fat with cardio then move to more intensive weights or should i just go primarily with weights from the start? I plan on biking on my off days and sometimes on weekends as i do now.

Found out what weights i was comfortable with tonight. Recovering from a lower back strain so i stayed away from anything that would put stress on it. Think I'm going to rest it for the rest of the week and start up on Monday.

A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press @ 125lbs
    1x5 Deadlift
    2x15 NS Situps
    3x8 Lateral DB Raise @ 20lbs
    2x4 Dips @ bodyweight(198lbs)

B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Military press @95lbs
    5x3 Power cleans
    2x15 Ab pulldowns
    3x8 DB curls @60lbs
    3x8 BB curls @25lbs
    edited September 2008
    Burning fat and building muscle at the same time can't happen outside of the first 30 - 60 days. Maybe for that amount of time you might want to do both. But at the end of the day, it's best to build muscle first and THEN do cardio while hitting the weights harder than ever to stem the tide of muscle being burned while losing the fat.

You can absolutely lose body fat to start with, though. Just realize that it won't result in much definition at the end.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    I guess it's important to define what you're going for, Magic. Rippetoes is strongly designed to build muscle... The whole plan is centered around it. If you do cardio and Rippetoes, you'll mostly maintain existing muscle while you lose body fat, but if you're expecting to get ripped, muscles come first and cardio comes second. What are your goals?

No, that is backwards.

When you're overweight is basically the only time you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. A bit of cardio will not hurt, and will be good for long-term cardiovascular health. Particularly in people who are overweight this can be important in repairing damage done to one's body through drinking, smoking, and poor eating habits before the age of 30.

I would suggest you primarily go for weights and worry about excess bodyfat later. Like I said, if you eat intelligently your body will take care of itself. It's biologically programmed to. Just get a lot of protein, 1g per pound of bodyweight at minimum and you'll be fine.

Most likely what will happen in your first month or two is your weight may only change 5-10 pounds, but your body fat will drop significantly, offset by an increased in muscle mass.
    edited September 2008
    I stand corrected.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Keep at it mate. It's a hard as hell slog. I had to dramatically change my diet, lifestyle and routine. But it has worked. Make sure you can make it a seamless part of your daily routine, so you never question actually doing it, you just do it :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I'm very proud of you for getting back into this. We really fell through on getting in shape last year when it got closer to exams. To go with what Shorty said, getting in a routine is definitely important. Set yourself a time to do it, and don't always wait until the end of the night when the gym is packed and then you are all wired before going to bed. Going around 5 or 6 I found is a really good time to go.

I'll also try to eat healthier with you. Try to keep less junk food around, and eat more protein instead of the mass amount of carbs that I enjoy. We'll also stop buying candy, because whenever it's around, you eat it. No more razzles! :P When we get paid Friday, we can go grocery shopping for healthier food to keep at my apartment for you to eat, too. Love you, and I hope we both continue to get healthier and "tighten up."
    edited September 2008
    Having a cheerleading section ^ is extremely helpful. You can do it, sir (and ma'am)!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    EXTRA CARDIO MIRITE? :p
    edited September 2008
    EXTRA CARDIO MIRITE? :p

ICWUDT
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    hah.

gotta love the extracurricular cardio activities. ;)
    edited September 2008
    The official starting day.

3x5 Squat @135lbs
    3x5 Military press @95lbs
    5x3 Power cleans @95lbs
    2x15 Ab pulldowns @76lbs
    3x8 DB curls @60lbs
    3x8 BB curls @30lbs (+5lbs)

Had to keep anything that put strain on my lower back light. It was still bothering me. i don't want to re injure it and slow my progress any further.

Ive lost 2lbs since last monday when i made my diet changes.
    edited September 2008
    Actually, compound exercises can be amongst the best thing you can do for ailing joints and muscles. As long as you're not doing ridiculous things (like squatting Buicks), tightening up the muscles can help.

Good progress on the BB curl. I changed my rest interval on my curls and made a jump to 40 lbs when I was struggling on a measly 25. Never underestimate the value of a longer rest period, especially between those bicep curls. The DB can seriously hamper your BB curls which is a good source of forearm development.
    edited September 2008
    Should i maybe do my db and bb on different days? i tend to do one at the beginning and the other at the end of my workout, so i don't feel like it effects me too much.
    edited September 2008
    No, it's fine. I do mine back to back, and I was noting that I had made a strong effort to enforce consistent rest intervals and it helped a lot. Was suggesting you make sure to do the same if you were putting them in sequence.
    edited September 2008
    3x5 Squat 3X5 @165lbs (+30lbs)
    3x5 Bench Press 3x5 @125lbs
    1x5 Deadlift @185lbs
    2x15 NS Situps
    3x8 Lateral DB Raise @25lbs (+5lbs)
    2x5 Dips @bodywieght

My back was feeling better so I'd say Friday I'll be back to a normal routine.

Also, i lost another lb.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited September 2008
    Good progress. Good to see the weights going up, and the bodyweight coming down. Keep hitting the iron hard.
    edited September 2008
    3x5 Squat @165
    2x15 NS Situps
    3x8 Lateral DB Raise @ 25lbs
    2x 5Dips @ bodyweight
    3x5 Military press @105lbs (+10lbs)
    edited September 2008
    From Mon 9/15

3x5 Squat @175lbs (+10lbs)
    3x5 Military press @105lbs
    5x3 Power cleans @105lbs (+10lbs)
    2x15 Ab pulldowns @84lbs (+10lbs)
    3x8 DB curls @70lbs (+10lbs)
    3x8 BB curls @30lbs

Now, now I'm getting faster. This workout takes me between 50 mins to an hour now with a 5-8 min warm-up bike ride included. I want to add one or two moves to each workout.

At the end of the week i don't feel much in my back, so i'd like to add something to each day that will help me out there.
    Also, my abdominal muscles on the sides i don't think are getting much out of my sit ups and pull downs. So, i need something else that works my sides more.
    Finally, anything that anyone notices that i could be neglecting.
    edited September 2008
    Just because it doesn't hurt doesn't mean it's not working. :) Don't change your routine, you've developed a pretty good one. My back rarely ever hurts, even after a day of deadlifting and pullups.

//EDIT: Jump your deadlifts to 2x5 if you feel comfortable.
    edited September 2008
    From Wed 9/17
    3x5 Squat 3X5 @175lbs
    3x5 Bench Press 3x5 @135lbs (+10lbs)
    2x5 Deadlift @185lbs (+1 set)
    2x15 NS Situps
    3x8 Lateral DB Raise @30lbs (+5lbs)
    3x5 Dips @bodywieght (+1 set)
    edited September 2008
    3x5 Squat @185lbs (+10lbs)
    3x5 Military press @115lbs
    5x3 Power cleans @115lbs (+10lbs)
    2x15 NS Situps (+8lb ball)
    3x8 Lateral DB Raise @30lbs
    3x8 DB curls @70lbs
    edited September 2008
    Keep the lateral DB weight lower, like 15-20 pounds. This is an exercise that just works better with lower weights. When you're doing them, make sure you're controlling the weight both up and down and that the raise goes above shoulder height.
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Keep the lateral DB weight lower, like 15-20 pounds. This is an exercise that just works better with lower weights. When you're doing them, make sure you're controlling the weight both up and down and that the raise goes above shoulder height.

Will do.
    edited September 2008
    Started a new internship that shifted my schedule a bit so I am on a T/TH/Sat routine now.
    09/23
    x5 Squat 3X5 @185lbs
    3x5 Bench Press 3x5 @145lbs (+10lbs)
    3x5 Deadlift @200lbs (+1 set, +15lbs)
    2x15 NS Situps
    3x8 Lateral DB Raise @20lbs
    3x5 Dips @bodywieght

Went with 20lbs for the lat Db raises per Thrax's suggestion. Tried to control my pace up and down through the reps and it was pretty damn hard even with 20.
    edited September 2008
    :D lookin' good, bud. You can stop adding sets to your deadlift. You might even try going to 2x6 for growth and strength in the lower back.
    edited September 2008
    3x8 Squat @185lbs (+3 reps)
    3x5 Military press @115lbs
    5x3 Power cleans @115lbs
    2x15 Ab Pulldowns @ 90lbs
    3x8 Lateral DB Raise @30lbs
    3x8 DB curls @70lbs
    3x8 DB bench press @35lbs

Flaked out on thursday because i was heading to a concert right after work, but i got my workout in in between moshing and trying to stay on me feet.
    edited September 2008
    Side note. Ive apparently lost 8lbs since the start of this three weeks ago. Nothing noticable to me, but it's something.
This discussion has been closed.