Flood and water Damage

edited September 2008 in Hardware
This morning I woke up to my entire basement being flooded and my PC under an inch of water. I pulled the computer out and it is currently drying under a fan. I believe the only parts to actually get wet where the power supply, power cables and hard drive. I tried powering it on and it will boot through the post but I'm getting graphical abnormalities. If any one has any advice as to what to look for or what to do please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Sup m8,

what kind of graphical abnormalities are you getting? that an mean numerous things. If you could be a bit more specific, that would be great.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Drying out can take a day or two, that is, with the part removed from the case, out in the open.
  • edited September 2008
    random pixels everywhere, i've only seen something like it when i didnt have the drivers updated for video cards on other computers. I'm going to let it dry out for a few days before i try to use it again. Any other advice on how to bring it back to normal?
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    zerostatic wrote:
    random pixels everywhere, i've only seen something like it when i didnt have the drivers updated for video cards on other computers. I'm going to let it dry out for a few days before i try to use it again. Any other advice on how to bring it back to normal?

Other than what Leo said you can try pulling the video card so the PCI or APG slot
    drys. But it will still take a couple days to make sure all is dry, till it's dry you won't
    know for sure.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    You should've let it dry for a couple days before turning it on, you probably fried the bus or the card. But just as a last ditch effort I seriously would disassemble the computer and put it out on a table to let dry for a few days. Hopefully you didn't fry it..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    You should've let it dry for a couple days before turning it on, you probably fried the bus or the card. But just as a last ditch effort I seriously would disassemble the computer and put it out on a table to let dry for a few days. Hopefully you didn't fry it..

Seconded.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2008
    You should be aware that flood waters can contain, and leave, current condusive contaminates on your parts even after they appear dry...

Drying your PC parts then cleaning them with an approved electronics cleaner may help, but from experience I'm thirding the above opinions of something being fried. Specially if it wasn't 100% dry before you fired it back up....
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    current condusive contaminates on your parts
    The chafing and itching can be terrible! Baby powder works well for that.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    All this being said, I have dumped a full can of Coke on my system (right on the video card, mobo, and PSU) and it kept chuggin away, never a problem.