New GPU projects = low PPD

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Folding@Home
Read more here
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5452

on the 5508 -5510 's I am down 2000 ppd per client.

Scott

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I'll take a look at this when I'm home today and see if the situation is the same for me.
  • everyguyeveryguy El Cajon, California
    edited September 2008
    My stock 9800GTX went from 5200 to about 3400 on 5511. My 8800GT dropped from 4800 to 3200. I tried overclocking the GTX from 675 to 750, but only gained about 100 ppd. There's a thread about it at: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5452&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=fb9614c0d493f55ac0fb79cb3d53164c
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    This makes it not so fun in the sun, the new WUs are larger amounts of work with less pay out......I wonder if they are trying to keep the server borks down.
    edited September 2008
    They aren't trying to do anything. It just turns out this current crop of GPU work units is not processed as efficiently by Nvidia GPUs as the previous crop of work units. The benchmarking machine and protocol has not changed.

Yeah, confirmed, my 8800s are producing about 40% less as well. Oh well, so be it.

If, after a while it is show that ATI and Nvidia are parity or close to it with respect to Folding, that would open up new possibilities - more variety.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    But they said that the new WUs are larger because the protein being studied is larger and they are offering less points per WU.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I'm not a folding guy any more, but it's a project in the name of science, not numbers.
    edited September 2008
    project in the name of science, not numbers.
    Both actually. We are humans, meaning that philanthropy is not enough of a motivator for our naturally selfish natures. :)

Bring on the points! :bigggrin: