Wireless Connection just disappeared >:(

edited November 2008 in Hardware
aalrighty then, hi to all

I'm amazed by my computer's ability to do stuff by itself today lol

So yesterday as I boot my laptop, I'm astonished to see that I just cannot connect to my wireless network as it was working just fine a few hours before..

Laptop: HP Pavillon dv6110ca
NIC: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN (i had to turn on "show hidden devices" for this one)

So I've read through a complete thread in this forum with the same problem only the person's NIC was external while mine is internal..
So the problem was resolved when he re-installed drivers and unplugging and replugging the NIC. I obviously can't do that as it is inside laptop.

so here I am plugged in through ethernet, so yes, ethernet works perfectly. I just cannot see wireless connection.

Help!

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Here is the thread that I've followed through until the end

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53981

too bad I couldn't resolve it like he did in the end as my NIC is not an external one like his..
  • edited September 2008
    nobody?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Usually when people don't respond it means they're considering a solution or are completely miffed.

However, you're saying your NIC showed up in hidden devices?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    I don't know about that computer. However on many other laptops I've worked on the wireless sometimes has 2 different places that it can be turned off/on. The first place usually is through a Fn button along with a Function key. That will turn the wifi/on off in the system. Also some laptops automatically disable the wifi when the battery runs low and don't turn it back on again.

The second place I've seen is that some laptops have a physical switch that can be flicked to turn the wifi off/on.
  • edited September 2008
    Thrax: Yes, I meant to say in the Device Manager, I had to "show hidden devices" to see its name appear

kryyst: Yes on mine, it's the switch and it's on, and the Hp Wireless Assistant says that it's on as well
    edited September 2008
    What happens when you uninstall the driver for the device and reboot?
  • edited September 2008
    as i try to uninstall it from the Device Manager I get: "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot the computer."

=(
    edited September 2008
    Try downloading the newest drivers. Turn off the computer, turn off the wireless with the switch. Reboot the computer. Uninstall the current device from device manager if it shows up. Turn off the computer. Turn on the wireless and turn the computer back on and then install the newest drivers.
  • edited September 2008
    Will do

I'm just having a hard time uninstalling the driver, is there any other way of finding it other than through the "Device Manager" ?
    edited September 2008
    No, the device manager is the only way.
  • edited September 2008
    Ok

As i expected, it wouldn't appear on the device manager even after turning off the wireless switch and rebooting, therefore i cannot uninstall the driver

what should i do?
    edited September 2008
    Try just installing the newest drivers overtop of the old.
  • edited September 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Try just installing the newest drivers overtop of the old.

Installed new driver over the old, rebooted computer and switched on wireless switch but still nothing! As if nothing happened =(
    edited September 2008
    One other trick would be to get a copy of Ubuntu Live edition, it's a linux operating system that runs off the cd. You could see if you can boot up your computer and linux may detect your wifi, it may not because linux sometimes has trouble with wifi, but it may. It could help to rule out if it's a software or a hardware issue.

Beyond that you could try doing a system restore and going back a week, could try doing a repair install if you have a windows disk or doing a complete system re-install using the recovery disk/partition that came with you computer, but that would set it back to factory defaults. Could also be that your wifi card died, it happens.

You can pick up a pcmci or usb wifi device for around $20. - $20 may be a small enough price to pay to cut your losses and your headache at trying to solve why this one isn't working and just move on.
  • edited November 2008
    alrighty, it's been about 2 months now that my wireless connection just disappeared out of nowhere, and since then I was functioning with a usb wireless key.

It would seem that it just wasn't working from the inside and there wasn't much I could about it (I tried everything.)

Now today, out of nowhere as I was using the computer, Wireless connection 2 just popped up on the bottom right of the screen! I turned on the switch and it was working! This is totally unexplainable lol.

Amazing
  • edited November 2008
    siznas wrote:
    alrighty, it's been about 2 months now that my wireless connection just disappeared out of nowhere, and since then I was functioning with a usb wireless key.

It would seem that it just wasn't working from the inside and there wasn't much I could about it (I tried everything.)

Now today, out of nowhere as I was using the computer, Wireless connection 2 just popped up on the bottom right and it wasn't connected. I turned on the switch and it was working! This is totally unexplainable lol.

Amazing

It went away again.
    I'm speechless.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    It went away again.
    It's because you've been on internet chat with the Devil! :hair:

j/k

I think you either have poorly written drivers from the wireless' device manufacturer or there is defective hardware. The only think I can think of that has not been mentioned (at least I didn't see it) is to try to uninstall the device in Safe Mode, pure Safe Mode without networking. Your wireless device should not be activated in that state. Uninstall should work then. When you reboot into normal Windows, you should get a popup window telling you that Windows has found a device. It will ask you to install/search for drivers. Cancel out than manually install the latest drivers for your device.