Mismatching Ram to the slot?

edited September 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys, I wasn't sure if there was just a forum to ask a question about hardware so I figured here was the best place.

I was wondering if I would be able to put DDR2 800 ram in a motherboard that can only use DDR2 533 ram.

I looked on newegg and 800 ram uses 2.1 volts and 533 ram only uses 1.8 volts. Is this going to be a problem? I remember reading something a while ago that a motherboard should be able to support ram that's higher than what it takes and it'll just slow it down. I was just double checking.

Thanks,

Uri

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Uri, your motherboard should automatically clock the 800 DDR2 down to DDR2 533 speed, so yes, it should work without problem.
    800 ram uses 2.1 volts and 533 ram only uses 1.8 volts
    There is no constant voltage setting for new, retail DRAM modules. Different brands and models are different, generally ranging from 1.8 to 2.1. If you are not a computer hardware tweaker and don't know your way around the motherboard BIOS, I would stay away from RAM, and speed, that requires 2.1v. RAM requiring 1.8v will work just fine with your motherboard without you having to change any BIOS settings.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Should work. It will underclock the DDR2 800, and usually underclocked stuff uses less voltage. Due to the undervolting, I don't think anyone will guarantee stability, but I bet it'd work just fine.

Check the Icrontic Marketplace if you are looking for a good deal on RAM. Nothing wrong with Newegg, but sometimes you'll get a better price elsewhere.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    800 DDR2-SDRAM at 2.1v will work just fine at DDR2-533 speeds using 1.8v.