Graphics Driver Malfunction HELP

Randal-ThorRandal-Thor Australia
edited November 2008 in Hardware
Recently I was on the Intel Website as I have the following graphics driver installed:

Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family

On the Intel Website, they had a driver called:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (which said it was compatible with my above stated driver).

Yet within an hour of installing the driver my graphics went haywire and all the colours and resolutions changed and told me to restart. I complied and then proceeded to uninstall this new driver I had installed. Unfortunately, it must have replaced a certain file because it then went haywire when it was unistalled, forcing me to reinstall the graphics accelerator. Every now and again the graphics will crash, which is annoying.

Can anyone please tell me how I can fix this problem?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    Use this program: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Completely delete the driver and do a clean install. Uninstall updates and drivers in Safe Mode and begin to reinstall one by one in regular mode.
  • Randal-ThorRandal-Thor Australia
    edited September 2008
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I am a bit lost, I'm afraid.

You have said to uninstall and do a "clean install". And to install the drivers one by one. Which drivers should I unistall and reinstall?
    edited September 2008
    For now, just uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers.
    edited October 2008
    Use this program: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Completely delete the driver and do a clean install. Uninstall updates and drivers in Safe Mode and begin to reinstall one by one in regular mode.

Hey. Sorry for the long delay. I've been trying to fight infections on my computer with Trogan.

Could you please walk me through the steps I need to take to fix my display problem. I have downloaded Driver Sweeper. Where do I go from there?
    edited October 2008
    Hey. Sorry for the long delay. I've been trying to fight infections on my computer with Trogan.

Could you please walk me through the steps I need to take to fix my display problem. I have downloaded Driver Sweeper. Where do I go from there?

I'd be more than glad to help.

1. Download and install Driver Sweeper. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655
    2. Go to Nvidia or ATI's website and download the drivers you need for your card. IF YOU HAVE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS, BE SURE YOU HAVE THE CHIPSET DRIVER TO REINSTALL. UNINSTALLING THIS DRIVER WILL IN MOST CASES UNINSTALL YOUR CHIPSET DRIVER AS WELL SOMETIMES RENDERING YOUR ETHERNET AND USB USELESS.
    3. Nvidia Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    4. ATI Drivers: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
    5. Intel Drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ (Requires you to manually search for your display adapter.)
    6. Save the correct driver to your desktop.
    7. Go to control panel (make sure you're in classic view, selectable on the left hand side)>add or remove programs (XP) or programs and features (Vista) >find nvidia, ATI or Intel drivers and click uninstall >proceed through the wizard and reboot. IF YOU HAVE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS, BE SURE YOU HAVE THE CHIPSET DRIVER TO REINSTALL. UNINSTALLING THIS DRIVER WILL IN MOST CASES UNINSTALL YOUR CHIPSET DRIVER AS WELL SOMETIMES RENDERING YOUR ETHERNET AND USB USELESS.
    8. Once you've rebooted open up Driver Sweeper, might give you a couple errors, that's normal.
    9. Go to the home section (should be there by default) and it will give you a list of a few drivers or pieces of hardware in the white space on the right side.
    10. Depending on your graphics card (ATI, Nvidia, Intel etc.) select either, and in the lower right hand corner click on clean.
    11. It might ask for verifications and what not, just keep goin.
    12. Once you've successfully cleaned the driver, reboot the computer.
    13. Now, the display is going to be screwy and windows will prompt for a driver corresponding to the "vga controller", simply cancel this wizard.
    14. Double click the driver you downloaded from the correct website seen above, proceed through the driver installation and reboot.
    15. Now you might have to go and change your resolution for your monitor, not a big deal.
    If you're still experiencing issues, you could have a hardware issue.
    edited October 2008
    I'd be more than glad to help.

1. Download and install Driver Sweeper. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655
    2. Go to Nvidia or ATI's website and download the drivers you need for your card. IF YOU HAVE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS, BE SURE YOU HAVE THE CHIPSET DRIVER TO REINSTALL. UNINSTALLING THIS DRIVER WILL IN MOST CASES UNINSTALL YOUR CHIPSET DRIVER AS WELL SOMETIMES RENDERING YOUR ETHERNET AND USB USELESS.
    3. Nvidia Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    4. ATI Drivers: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
    5. Intel Drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ (Requires you to manually search for your display adapter.)
    6. Save the correct driver to your desktop.
    7. Go to control panel (make sure you're in classic view, selectable on the left hand side)>add or remove programs (XP) or programs and features (Vista) >find nvidia, ATI or Intel drivers and click uninstall >proceed through the wizard and reboot. IF YOU HAVE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS, BE SURE YOU HAVE THE CHIPSET DRIVER TO REINSTALL. UNINSTALLING THIS DRIVER WILL IN MOST CASES UNINSTALL YOUR CHIPSET DRIVER AS WELL SOMETIMES RENDERING YOUR ETHERNET AND USB USELESS.
    8. Once you've rebooted open up Driver Sweeper, might give you a couple errors, that's normal.
    9. Go to the home section (should be there by default) and it will give you a list of a few drivers or pieces of hardware in the white space on the right side.
    10. Depending on your graphics card (ATI, Nvidia, Intel etc.) select either, and in the lower right hand corner click on clean.
    11. It might ask for verifications and what not, just keep goin.
    12. Once you've successfully cleaned the driver, reboot the computer.
    13. Now, the display is going to be screwy and windows will prompt for a driver corresponding to the "vga controller", simply cancel this wizard.
    14. Double click the driver you downloaded from the correct website seen above, proceed through the driver installation and reboot.
    15. Now you might have to go and change your resolution for your monitor, not a big deal.
    If you're still experiencing issues, you could have a hardware issue.

Hey. Thanks for your quick reply.

I went onto the three websites you mentioned above. I also opened up the control panel and went to add/remove programs. Then, I opened up DriverMax and it gave me a whole report of all the drivers installed. According to it, I only had the Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family installed. Yet when I went to the control panel and clicked on remove for ATI, it told me that it was going to uninstall:
    -Radeon X1300 Series
    -Radeon X1300 Series Secondary

I have been unable to locate any downloads for those 2 radeon drivers. I have Nvidia installed, but I can't find what drivers and versions I have installed by them. What should I do?
    edited October 2008
    Well we need to figure out what GPU you have. Take off the side of the case and read the model number off of the graphics card, if you have one.

In case you've never been inside a case before, this is what you need to look at. I can guarantee yours wont look the same, but I'm sure you'll be able to find the graphics card if you have one. :p
    7900gs_installed.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Well we need to figure out what GPU you have. Take off the side of the case and read the model number off of the graphics card, if you have one.

In case you've never been inside a case before, this is what you need to look at. I can guarantee yours wont look the same, but I'm sure you'll be able to find the graphics card if you have one. :p
    7900gs_installed.jpg

Well, I had a look but couldn't find anything. I thought I had one but maybe I was wrong. Unless, is the graphics card in your computer the thing that says MSI?

Ok, I had a problem earlier where my graphics suddenly went haywire. I belive thats because I accidentally clicked on remove Intel Chipset in the control panel. I quickly cancelled it but later when I needed to reboot the graphics were screwed. So I ran a restore pint and went back before that happened. Problem is, if I right clicik on the desktop, the 3 spaces where it said 'Graphics", etc, has now being replaced by 'Can't find requested string'. Any ideas?
    edited October 2008
    Well, I had a look but couldn't find anything. I thought I had one but maybe I was wrong. Unless, is the graphics card in your computer the thing that says MSI?

Ok, I had a problem earlier where my graphics suddenly went haywire. I belive thats because I accidentally clicked on remove Intel Chipset in the control panel. I quickly cancelled it but later when I needed to reboot the graphics were screwed. So I ran a restore pint and went back before that happened. Problem is, if I right clicik on the desktop, the 3 spaces where it said 'Graphics", etc, has now being replaced by 'Can't find requested string'. Any ideas?

Just go to intel's website that I linked to earlier. Simply go to their website and download the drivers.
    edited October 2008
    Just go to intel's website that I linked to earlier. Simply go to their website and download the drivers.

I went to their website and downloaded their chipset identification utility. It told me I had the Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family, which I already knew. It also told me that I don't have any integrated graphics.

So all I will need I take it, is the Intel Chipset? Or will I also need the radeon Graphics Drivers as well?

I went to the Intel website and downloaded the following for the Q965/Q963:
    -INF Update for the chipsets
    -Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver

Are there any other drivers required for my Intel chipset?
    edited October 2008
    Take a picture of the inside of the computer and post it up here. That way I can take a look and see what kind of graphics you have.
    edited October 2008
    Take a picture of the inside of the computer and post it up here. That way I can take a look and see what kind of graphics you have.

Hey.

I have attached 3 pictures of my computer to this post.

My graphics caused my computer to freeze earlier before going haywire.

I really appreciate your help.:)
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Liam/Desktop/DSC04428.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Liam/Desktop/DSC04428.JPG[/IMG]
    edited October 2008
    Ok, you definitely have integrated graphics. Now we need to determine whether you have ATI or Intel integrated.

Do you have the original specifications of the computer or the model?
    edited October 2008
    Ok, you definitely have integrated graphics. Now we need to determine whether you have ATI or Intel integrated.

Do you have the original specifications of the computer or the model?

The model is: Acer Veriton X900 XPP MHD1 12522 Intel Quad Core CPU Q6600@ 2.4GHz. It is a 7900 PRO model.

Unfortunately I can't find the original information about the specs.
    edited October 2008
    Ok. Do the following..

start> run> type "dxdiag.exe"> and go to the display tab and let me know what adapter it finds.
    edited October 2008
    Ok. Do the following..

start> run> type "dxdiag.exe"> and go to the display tab and let me know what adapter it finds.

Hi. Sorry for the delay; I've been away since Monday.

I followed your instructions. The dxdiag found:
    Name: Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
    Chip Type: GMA 300
    Monitor: Plug and Play
    Driver: igxprd32.dll

Thanks. I hope this information helps.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Randal, you need to uninstall all the graphics drivers you have on your system. After that, reinstall the Intel driver available here.

Instructions are in the Read Me. You'll need to download the file and save it in a folder. You'll run the program to unzip the driver into that folder and then follow these instructions.
    Microsoft Windows* XP
    * "HAVE-DISK" Installation Instructions

1. Click "Start" then right click on "Computer" button and then choose Manage.

2. When the Computer Management window opens select the "device manager" icon. (NOTE: IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 3B)

3a. Double click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". (Go To STEP 4)

3b. Select "Display adapters" then Double click on the graphics controller shown.

4. Click on "driver" tab and select "Update Driver".

5. Select the following option when the Hardware Wizard asks to connect to Windows Update: "No, not this time".

6. Select the following option: "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".

7. Select the “Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install” option and then “Next”.

8. Click on the "Have Disk..." button and then the "Browse" button.

9. Enter the directory where you unzipped the file you downloaded, and then enter the "Graphics" subdirectory. Locate and highlight the "igxp32.INF" file. Click on the "Open" button.

10. Click on the "OK" button. A window listing all of the available display types should open. Select the display adapter that your system contains and then click on the "Next" button.

11. Click on the "Next" button. The operating system will install the driver. Click on the "Finish" button when done.

12. Click on the "Close" button and then click on the "Yes" button to reboot. The driver should now be loaded.

That should take care of everything.
    edited October 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Randal, you need to uninstall all the graphics drivers you have on your system. After that, reinstall the Intel driver available here.

Instructions are in the Read Me. You'll need to download the file and save it in a folder. You'll run the program to unzip the driver into that folder and then follow these instructions.

That should take care of everything.

Hey Buddy J.

When you say I should uninstall all of my graphics drivers and then just install the one you have provided above, does that include the ATI Display Driver and the Intel Graphics Accelerator driver? These are the 2 graphics drivers I can find installed in my control panel.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Randal, do you know if your computer has a separate video card installed? What is brand and model of your computer?
    edited October 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Randal, do you know if your computer has a separate video card installed? What is brand and model of your computer?

Hey.

I don't know if it has a separate video card installed.

The brand is Acer and the model is a Veriton 7900 PRO.
    edited October 2008
    The reason I asked if it had a separate card installed was because you reported both Intel and ATI video drivers. Do the following please:

- right click on the desktop
    - select settings

Please post what is indicated in the middle of the window after "Display:"
    edited October 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    The reason I asked if it had a separate card installed was because you reported both Intel and ATI video drivers. Do the following please:

- select settings

Please post what is indicated in the middle of the window after "Display:"

If I right-click on the desktop I get the following options:
    -arrange icons
    -refresh
    -paste
    -paste shortcut
    -undo copy
    -graphics properties
    -graphics options
    -new
    -properties

Which one do I choose?
    edited October 2008
    Oh, sorry, I skipped a step. Oh, what operating system are you using - XP or Vista? With XP, select "properties" after the right click on the desktop. With Vista..."graphics properties?"
    edited October 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Oh, sorry, I skipped a step. Oh, what operating system are you using - XP or Vista? With XP, select "properties" after the right click on the desktop. With Vista..."graphics properties?"

I use XP. So I click on Properties. Then which tab do I look at?
    edited October 2008
    - select properties
    - select settings tab
    edited October 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    - select properties
    - select settings tab

I followed your instructions and it said:

Plug and Play Monitor on Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
    edited November 2008
    I followed your instructions and it said:

Plug and Play Monitor on Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family

Ok. I uninstalled all the graphics drivers (or what I thought were all) a while ago and then reinstalled the Intel Chipset. I had thought the problem solved until today when the error reappeared.

So, can anyone please tell me how I can make sure I am uninstalling all of the drivers and then reinstalling the correct one?