This one or that one??

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
im' in need for a new power supply, i'm thinking either this
http://www.dealsonic.com/oem50atxposu.html
or this
http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=78_83&products_id=452

i need it to replace my antec 400w smartpower, are they good choices, i don't want to spend too much money, and i want a good power supply, cause my current one on the 5v line it's dropp to 4.8 and sometimes lower.

any good suggestions?

Comments

• dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    That dealsonic one looks like crap. In the specs it looks like a 350W one, i dont know how they got it to be 500W total. I am not familier with the achieve brand, so i can't say anything good or bad about it. 4.8v is within the tolerance level on power supplies anyway, i dont think you should be worried.

~dodo
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I'm also not familiar with achieve psu's. The rule of thumb I always go by with psu's is to not crap out and get a cheap one then have it fail on you in the long run. Go with a Antec TruePower series psu, I don't know what too much money is to you? but you can pick up a 430 truepower for about $90 or so. Is this going in your main system?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Leishi; NEITHER would be the best choice. U want a cheap, decent powersupply? Look @ Allied/Deer, Raidmax, Powmax, InWin/PowerMan (if you can find one bigger than 400w- I've only ever seen 235 and 300w ones, but they're decent for their size and price) and Enlight... However, I'd really recommend an Antec over anything else. I mean my 400w Pre-Smartpower/TruPower Antec is still chugging away, and is currently powering the K7D-L system with a single 2200+ (I'm not hard coding multis on those bartons until I test them @ the speed I want and my A7N8X is dead, and I doubt my KX7 can do 200MHz+ FSB speeds), and it's soon to be powering the dual 2500s @ (hopefully) 2.125GHz, 4 160gb Maxtor HDDs (Gotta love competition- Staples was out, so I got 'em from fry's for $90 each after rebates, and 3 of 'em have ATA-133 cards with them that I should be able to get $20 each for...) and possibly 2GB of DDR and a GFFX5900 or R9800 256 (not sure yet) and I've never had problems with it. It's powered every system I've had since I bought it at some point, and it's never caused a problem... if you aren't having problems with yours, I'd leave it.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    how is turbolink? they have a 420watt psu come with their x-pider cases...and its only like 90 bux for both of them in newegg.com
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    too tell you the truth, i haven't had any problems with this PSU yet, but soon i;m going to have water cooling coming, and couple CCFLs, so i was thinking maybe i need a BIGGER and badder PSU, cause at 1.85vcore my 1700+ running at 2.5gh is causing the 5v line drop down to 4.8 and high 4.7s so i thought i might have problems with the new setup, with higher OC.

i wanted to get a robanton 600w, but couldn't find them anywhere, anyone got a good link?