Setting up a domain server?

t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
edited December 2003 in Science & Tech
Okay, since it only costs $12.95 to register a domain name now in Canada, I was thinking of registering one for myself.
Example, www.t1rhino.com

Since I have an always on cable internet, can I host www.t1rhino.com on my cable internet? Would I just register the domain with my IP address?
Also, it says that 2 DNS servers of my ISP are required? Why, and would I have to register my domain name with my ISP?

Thanks,

Comments

• TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    Unless you have a SOHO package, most cable companies prohibit servers over their 'residential' packages. Charter does, at least. Read the TOS or call them (while you've got them on the phone, ask them for two DNS servers :D ).

They probably need DNS IPs to add an entry to those servers for that domain. Since they're hosting the server, it seems logical to add the DNS entries there. Those DNS servers should in turn update the other DNS servers, etc., etc. That's probably why they ask for two, so it updates in a more effecient manner.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    To host it on your own server from home you would need a dynamic redirection service like www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.org. Most residential cable services use dynamic IP.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, it's against the TOS for Rogers. :(
    I have the DNS servers IPs, but I guess they would not be happy with a domain pointing to my IP.

I have used no-ip.com, but was looking for something a little cleaner.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    www.1and1.com

A little cleaner, and free for 3 years...