Computer Self Reboots With New Installed Memory

edited October 2008 in Hardware
I recently purchased 3 (1gb) sticks of ram for my computer.
My computer is a:
eMachine T5026
3.06ghz, 1.22gb of ram (from 4 mixed sticks) (pc2100, 2700)
160gb

It works fine without the extra memory but when I actually put it in, the computer self reboots, states that there was a problem and asks to start normally or in safe mode and other things like that and the last thing is that I get a blue screen of death with something that says

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
and at the bottom of the bluescreen something that says
"Beginning Dump Of Physical Memory"

The 3 sticks of memory I purchased each say DDR64X16PC400 1G AUM3408

I don't know much about computers but I was looking around in the BIOS and the memory shows up but after I exit that it just reboots again or goes to the bluescreen.

My question is... would there be an alternative to returning the memory sticks and get it to work with my computer?
Any help is appreciated.. greatly!

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2008
    Hi There

It could be dodgey memory.

Firstly try only putting one stick in.

If it boots take that one out then try another. If that works try the last one. If it fails the you have identified which is the bad stick.

Go to this site http://www.memtest86.com/download.html and download the CD ISO in zip format. Unzip the contents. This will give you a CD image file know as an ISO. Use your CD burning package like nero or Roxio (many others available) to burn the image to CD.

Put the CD in you PC and reboot. You need to make sure that your PC is set to boot from CD before HD. This is set in the Bios.

Let the utility run through a couple of times and it will test your memory for any faults.

Rich
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    They're either incompatible with your board, which is possible since not all sticks are truly created equal, or one of them is bad. You can test each stick with memtest one by one, or return them.
  • edited October 2008
    I tried each of the sticks individually and no luck like that, the thing now is... should I still go ahead and try testing the memory for any faults? (I mean if there's a chance I might be able to get the memory to work then I'll go ahead and test the memory if not then what for) if there is something wrong obviously I'm going to return the memory, and if there isn't anything wrong, would I be able to get the memory to work?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I tried each of the sticks individually and no luck
    I'm not sure if you could be more vague if you tried.

You couldn't only insert one stick at a time?
    It won't boot with only one stick?
    It works perfectly and won't reproduce the error?

Come on, man, spend the time to explain.
  • edited October 2008
    Sorry about that, I tried each individual stick, the machine comes on, makes a repeated beep every 3 to 5 seconds but there is no image on the display, before it did come on when I put all 3 sticks in with the original memory stick it came with and it actually turned on, the windows xp screen came on and seemed to be loading at the time but then it just rebooted over and over in a continuous loop
    So to answer the questions...
    (1) I could and did insert the sticks one at a time
    (2) It won't boot with one stick (seems to turn on but there's no image) just the loud beeps)
    (3) It does't work
    (4) I didn't mean to be vague
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2008
    I think it is highly unlikely that all the sticks are bad. I think it is more likely to be a compatability issue and you have the wrong memory for your MB. That said if it was the wrong memory for your board I wouldn't expect it to boot at all when you put them in. I would put them all in and run the test. Also see if you can get the motherboard make and model and download the manual. That will tell you what memory you need.