Please help me OC my D915 on MSI p35 neo2-fr

edited October 2008 in Hardware
Hello! After some time spend searching with google i found this http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49061.
My system specs are:
CPU: pentium D 915 (Socket 775,Presler)
MAINBOARD: MSI p35 neo2-fr
MEMORY: 2x1 Gb geil ultra PC2 8500 1066MHz
Memory Timings: 5-5-5-15
CPU Clockspeed: default 2.8GHz
Vcore: 1.23V
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212
PSU: Allied real 400W
CASE: Raidmax ninja

I would like to reach the performance from the link above. I tried to OC but i cant go higher then 3.4GHz. everything above is unstable. i raised just the FSB to overclock. I could need some tips. thank you :respect:

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Welcome to Icrontic! Thanks for joining.

You may not be able to get an overclock like Leonardo's. Not all chips can do it. Not all boards can do it. You can sure try though. If you want to really push things to the max, you'll need to spend a bit more cash. It may not be worth it overall and is totally up to you.

1. You'd be wise to get a better heatsink for your CPU. A Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme would be a great choice, or something like a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, OCZ Vendetta 2, or Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Overclocking makes your CPU hot, and heat makes for instability. In any case, you'll need a good thermal goo. Arctic Silver 5, OCZ Freeze, etc. are better than the generic white goop that comes with many heatsinks.

2. You need a PSU that can provide stable voltages. Consider upgrading to a larger unit that can provide stable power across the board. I'm not sure if your PSU is really up to the task.

When going for a high FSB overclock, a good way to start is to bump up the voltages for the CPU and RAM. It takes extra juice to get the speed you're looking for. your vCore for the CPU looks low compared to the overclocks you linked to. You'll need to raise it. Try upping the voltage (keeping in mind that it'll make the chips run hotter) and see where it gets you.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Welcome to Icrontic :)

We recently did a review of the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 BLACK edition. BuddyJ is right - you'll need a better heatsink. Our Marketplace has the TRUE120 listed as well.

Using our Marketplace, I set a couple of parameters for a Power Supply as well. I don't know what your budget is, but if you are going to start OCing, you need a solid foundation, and your PSU is not it.

Stick around, you're in good hands :)
  • edited October 2008
    Thank you for your reply!:)

My budget is not so big:( I will focus on getting a solid PSU snd cooling. I found this: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/257065.html?playlist=featured but its kind of radical cooling and looks good :p
    As son as i upgrade, i will let you know. But this can take some time:(

10x;)