Broadband in Hallsburg TX.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited November 2008 in Internet & Media
I'm about to move to the middle of nowhere, Hallsburg Texas. All I can find is T1 services, for hundreds of buckets of dosh a month.

Clear wire looks...tolerable, but a measly 192KB/S MAX Down is gobshite. Problem is; I have absolutely no way of testing if I'll even get decent service out there because I don't know anyone with the only package they offer, which appears to be over EV-DO. S'fine, Kyocera now makes an EV-DO compatible router, so I can use it with the express card. But that's what..300 dollars for the router, and then Clear wire's gonna want me to drop 270 on the card itself; then my first month's service upfront, that's 63 bucks right there. So, 650~ to just get SET UP! I'll have to run cable out to my garage, because it's like 200 yards from the house, but I don't mind that, I've got 500 yards of outdoor Cat5E shielded twisted pair, I just hope that it'll carry a signal long enough.

I'd just wait until April and see what the FCC does with the white noise package, but the story of this is; I'm probably not even gonna get 30 days, and that means up to 3 months without internet.

I am well F**ed and far from home.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    That sucks :-/

At least you'll be able to get internet at all though, to be honest. There is nothing but dialup available where my family property is in northern Michigan.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2008
    And that's IF Tradinghouse'es equipment doesn't jam the clearwire gear like it does my phone.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    What about satellite?

//EDIT: Ugh, never mind. They throttle speeds after you download 300MB.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    Cat 5e's maximum length is about 150yards - you may be out of luck with a cable run that far without a booster in the middle.

I'll also suggest checking out satellite internet. Dish Network Inernet
    edited October 2008
    I still need to be able to play games. Satellite adds ~130ms per direction, and to be honest, I get Dish'es biggest package for 30 bucks less, and the gear lease is 4 bucks. So, Clearwire is my best 100% pocket. Granted I can't use my gear in it's current config; and I'll have to buy a new router just to use it, but if I don't buy that express card and lease it, it's 4 bucks a month on my bill.

So after some plan revision; I'll only need about 400 to start. What's a cat5 booster, as in it's technical specification, and are they easy to build/find?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    So after some plan revision; I'll only need about 400 to start. What's a cat5 booster, as in it's technical specification, and are they easy to build/find?

It can be called many names, but the booster or repeater can also be thought of as a hub that only has a port in and a port out.

Should be able to find them at most electronic stores online and off.
    edited October 2008
    But what's the technical data? What does the device consist of?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Google is your friend ;)

You can also just use a switch/hub in the middle, the limit is 100 meters between devices I think.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Would a wireless bridge from the garage to the house be feasible? That'd be a hell of a lot simpler than running a line. That's how I got a connection upstairs in my parents' house.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Wireless with a directional antenna would be perfect for this application.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    Yeah if you can do wireless with a high gain antenna you can pump a signal 450 with little problem. It won't be as fast as cat5e, but it's still way faster then your internet connection and easier to install and manage then a 400' cable drop.
  • nsanitynsanity New
    edited November 2008
    I just moved from Waco... you don't want Clearwire. Especially if you are gaming. TBH, there aren't many good solutions out east of Waco. If you lived southwest, that would be a different story. There might be some packet-radio providers (I know some ppl who had one and didn't complain).
    edited November 2008
    Well, I'm not moving after all, because there's not gonna be a divorce. So, I guess this thread can be closed..?