5.1 vs normal headphones

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Enlighten me people. I need to know if 5.1's are worth the money or if I should get a good pair of normal ones like sennheisers or some other good normal headphones.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    I should also point out... I was talking to fudgam about this on AIM, and I told him that I thought the 5.1s are a waste of money. I've always found the imaging on even mediocre headphones to be excellent.

Since the 5.1s (both the Zalmans and the Kinyos) are $50-$60, I suggested these instead:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=0&sumit=Go&description=26%2D106%2D326&searchdepa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=0&sumit=Go&description=26%2D106%2D347&searchdepa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=0&sumit=Go&description=26%2D106%2D320&searchdepa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=0&sumit=Go&description=26%2D106%2D302&searchdepa=0
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    Them open air headies are too fragile. The noise canceling ones are good but your ears start to get aggravated after a awhile from being squished.

I try to get a mix of the two, something with the sturdiness of noise canceling but that won't cup over your entire ear. Unless you're a real audiophile I think >$50 is too much to spend on 'phones unless you're going wireless.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I love my Zalmans, then I broke them (Stupid CORDS!!!). Only complaint I had was the lows weren't low enough, and highs weren't high enough, but they were excellent for gaming. Just don't expect monster bass.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2003
    Unless you watch movies on your PC I dont see the point of 5.1 Headphones but then again I have'nt tried them out yet.

The Greatest bang for the buck in headphones are these http://www.provantage.com/buy-22073333-plantronics-computer-headset-audio-90-analog-shopping.htm

They are Ugly as poo but you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding head phone for under 60 bucks. I was recently at a lan where I played the same game on different pc's and headphones. I don't what sound card they had but the sound my headphones were putting out put theres to shame. I am useing an audigy 1 with them.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Sennheiser is one of the very best in the business. I myself would opt for the $49.00 pair, as they balance verstility with lightness and sound quality, but best for a more pure audiophile would be the best offered by Geeky.

Right now, for wireless, I ma waiting, I have too much gear close to me for 900 MHz to work without noise, even had to get rid of perfectly otherwise good cordless phone (except for battery type used) that was 900 MHz and get 2.4 GHz. Going to flat panel and 2.4 GHz phone helped a lot. I would like to see Sennheiser or someone of that QC and electronics capability in audio make a 2.4-2.6 GHz wireless audio headset. I am reasonably sure it would ROCK. Trick would be to not have it interfere with one of the existing wireless network hardware standard sets, so it would need to subchannel hop or maybe be ~2.5-2.6 GHz for a reasonably good non-interfering freq offset versus electronics(computer) type for a while.

John.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Sennheiser is one of the very best in the business. I myself would opt for the $49.00 pair, as they balance verstility with lightness and sound quality, but best for a more pure audiophile would be the best offered by Geeky.

Right now, for wireless, I ma waiting, I have too much gear close to me for 900 MHz to work without noise, even had to get rid of perfectly otherwise good cordless phone (except for battery type used) that was 900 MHz and get 2.4 GHz. Going to flat panel and 2.4 GHz phone helped a lot. I would like to see Sennheiser or someone of that QC and electronics capability in audio make a 2.4-2.6 GHz wireless audio headset. I am reasonably sure it would ROCK. Trick would be to not have it interfere with one of the existing wireless network hardware standard sets, so it would need to subchannel hop or maybe be ~2.5-2.6 GHz for a reasonably good non-interfering freq offset versus electronics(computer) type for a while.

John.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I got the Zalmans, very pleased with them, but as previously mentioned, they do get a bit rough on the ears after a couple of hours.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Komete had this to say
    Unless you watch movies on your PC I dont see the point of 5.1 Headphones but then again I have'nt tried them out yet.

Games are pretty much the big point. Though I still don't think a 5.1 headphone set is as good as a decent 5.1 speaker set (though the speakers would cost a lot more).
  • sim2340sim2340 Bisley,Woking,Surrey
    edited December 2006
    I can convert music off CDs with SB X-FI up to 7.1 channel sound in WMA or WAV form. Then u will be glad u have Zalmans 5.1 Headphones they sound great. But no better than reg HP for listening to 2 channel music but great for games
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    wow this thread is like 3 years old to the day.. was this a Google find?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    sim2340 wrote:
    I can convert music off CDs with SB X-FI up to 7.1 channel sound in WMA or WAV form. Then u will be glad u have 5.1 Headphones they sound great. But no better than reg HP for listening to 2 channel music but great for games

What does it matter? CDs are stereo. They have 2 channels. You could have 100.5 spherical sound, but it'd still only be the front left and right cloned to the rest of the channels, making good stereo headphones no better/worse than good 5.1s.
  • sim2340sim2340 Bisley,Woking,Surrey
    edited December 2006
    ah the Zalmans i have have the side wings 2 on each ear. weird how zalman where the first to think of this great idea before creative or SB. Never listened to any other HP with the emulated Surround Sound to compare though
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Yeh, I just like good ol' stereo with a sub. I've listened to music recorded in 5.1, and I didn't think it sounded good as stereo. If you have a good set of speakers or headphones with proper imaging, than you'll be happy. I personally use my studio headphones most of the time, but when I wanna get loud I turn on the stereo and piss my neighbors off.

Thrax, I think you should capitalize on that 100.1 spherical sound. It would only take a substation to power the speakers, and a hard drive to store all the tracks, but the effect would be sweet.:vimp:
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited January 2007
    Enverex wrote:
    Games are pretty much the big point. Though I still don't think a 5.1 headphone set is as good as a decent 5.1 speaker set (though the speakers would cost a lot more).

I have a pair of 5.1's that I picked up about 18 mths ago. They don't even come close to my 5.1 speakers. The speakers are nice for movies and such, but the headphones rule when it comes to gaming. I believe the brand was LCD that I paid around $90 CND when I picked them up.

my $0.02 cents, if your a gamer, get the 5.1 headphones.