Computer will not start

edited October 2008 in Hardware
I don't know what happened, but when I turned on my computer at work, it said "A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" I restarted it many times, but nothing happened. Please help!

Thanks
Bob

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Follow this guide and burn DFT to a CD on the computer you're posting from now. Then run it on the computer where you're getting the disk read error.

You either have a bungled file system (think a filing cabinet where all the files have just been dumped into one drawer), or a bad hard drive. We'll find out which.
  • edited October 2008
    Thanks for your fast replies.

I did what you told me, and the test said the following :

"Problem detected on a non Hitachi disk drive. Please contact your HDD supplier for additional support. Disposition Code= 0x70

I'm sorry I take so long to respond, but I can only work on the computer right before I go home or at lunch, and then I have to use my home computer to post to you guys.

Thanks
    Bob
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Unfortunately, the 0x70 error code means your hard drive is physically damaged and must be replaced. The good news is that it can probably be easily backed up as this article instructs. Make sure you don't try to boot or access that drive any more until you can get it on an external adapter to copy information off.

You'll need to buy a new hard drive and reinstall Windows on it to get your PC back into working condition.
  • edited October 2008
    Thanks again for you quick replies.

I have some important information on there, so I am going to back it up just in case. It seems like a simple process, so I think that i will be able to do it. However, I'll post a message if I have any problems

Thanks
    bob
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    However, I'll post a message if I have any problems
    Bob, post a message for success, too! We like feedback, especially when things go well. :)
  • edited October 2008
    it turns out that the hard drive started dying after my boss gave it to someone so that they could fix a problem he was having with some of the programs.To fix it, the person backed up the important files, and then formatted it. He was going to later install everything on it again. However, he didn't have the programs, and so gave it back to my boss.

I was the first one to start the computer after it was formatted, and that's when i figured out that the hard drive was dying; with your help of course.:respect: So, there is nothing installed on the hard drive, and I don't think that there is much of a point for me to try the solution that you found. LOL. Sorry for any inconvenience, but thanks for all your help.