Burst Capacitor on Domain Controller's Motherboard

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited October 2008 in Hardware
So last night my domain controller's motherboard died b/c of a burst capacitor on the motherboard (10 year old motherboard). I bought all new parts for a new motherboard, but what do I do about active directory, etc. I think I've had a little experience with this and a domain really hates it when you just discard an old DC and throw in brand new one without moving Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, FSMO roles, and maybe other stuff.

Please help. Thank you.

phu

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    wtf goes on over there......

If it's Win2K3 still, you can do a repair install, I'm pretty sure you can just drop the new mobo in and boot up and go.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    ^Definitely would be your safest bet. Trying to make AD not want to do stuff with that DC anymore would be horrible.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited October 2008
    well, it's my apartment, not cathedral. and the answer is raves mostly and standard 10 person and up simultaneous lovemaking. still not sure what caused a burst capacitor though. probably blew it's load from watching all of the lovemaking. it's win2k. repair install option there?
    edited October 2008
    how dumb is it to disconnect all devices from the domain and start over that way... i mean, i only have 3 computers, a printer and an airport express that will be permanently connected.
    edited October 2008
    you'll have to migrate profiles on each of those three computers and manually unjoin them from the domain

It's a pain in the dick, no lie.

Win2k = you're boned.
    edited October 2008
    you'll have to migrate profiles on each of those three computers and manually unjoin them from the domain

Win2k = you're boned.

poop
    edited October 2008
    UPDATE:

popped the server's original hard drive into an extra pc, ran a repair install as suggested and everything is peachy... kind of. I mean it's slow and I don't trust it, so I put the new box together with the new parts I bought from newegg and I'm gonna install server2k3 on it... but i think it's good enough to transfer AD and stuff
    edited October 2008
    get it done quickly!
    edited October 2008
    really? you think the fact that it's so slow means that it's about to start failing?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    No telling what could happen. I wouldn't risk it with a DC though. :)
    edited October 2008
    hmmm... maybe i'll do that tonight instead of that thing i usually do at night
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008

Consider trying to work with the other 10 fingers.