jared's computer

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
edited October 2008 in Hardware
Well after seeing the joy that I new rig brought to fatcat, I felt like I was missing out :D

So I decide to build me something similar - although on a little smaller budget.

Also figure with this new pc I can get back into gaming and keep from sitting around my house sulking about being sick (still).

My goal was for the PC to be under ~600, and I was shooting for $550 - because then I still needed a LCD and a couple other things.

I the parts came from Icrontic's very own budget PC recommendation and recommendation from Thraxipedia.

Here is what I ended up with....

Motherboard: DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail ($109)

Video Card: XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI express Video Card - Retail ($109 after $20 MIR)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core - Retail ($119)

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit - Retail ($65)

PSU: Antec True Power Trio TP3-430 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply w/ Three 12V Rails - Retail ($49)

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail ($59)

Optical Drive: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM ($24)

(-$20 for Combo discount)

$514 for the essential components.
(Already had a HD)

Other components:
Mouse: Microsoft Wired Optical Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 - Retail ($34)
Keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve Black USB Wired Ergonomics Keyboard 2000 - OEM ($14)
Wireless card: EDIMAX EW-7128G PCI Wireless Card - Retail ($18)
LCD: Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail ($150)

Total: $730

Whatcha think?

So basically if you didn't need the wireless card but needed an HD you could build a complete system (minus the OS) for ~$750.

I really wish I had an extra LCD, that is what set me back some but oh well.

The Thraxipedia states I should be able to get some moderate OC'in with this mainboard/proc combo once I get a decent heatsink :cool:

I've been out of PC gaming for almost 2 years (well besides TF2 on my MBP) so I will have some catching up to do. Any recommendations?

Cheers :jared:

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    meh, looks good for a cheap bastard like yourself...

:cheers:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot with a 19" monitor. No matter how long it takes scanning ads on Craigslist or forums, or waiting for super deals at Sam's, get a 22" WS minimum. There's just no reason to go for 19" anymore. If you just cannot find the money for a 22", then buy something really, really cheap, that you can resell later without much loss when you have accumulated the money for a better gaming monitor.

I can see buying an el cheapo 17 or 19" unit off of Craigslist to hold you over until you have the money for what you want, but I think purchasing a new 19" LCD is a really bad idea.

The rest of your system: I think you've done an excellent job of finding a great price-performance compromise. I'm really impressed.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I will agree with and echo Leo's sentiments on this system.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Yeah thats a good idea. I'm going to start watching the Sam's and Office Depot sales.

NE has some decent sales on LCDs, the problem is usually shipping is enough to off set the cost of the sale
    edited October 2008
    If you want the machine right away - have a game you want play RIGHT NOW - cool, I can understand. Just find some LCD on Craigslist for really cheap, grin and bear it, and just wait to strike when you've got the money or when a perfect deal pops. Then just turn around and sell the temporary monitor on CL for what you paid or only a small loss.

EDIT....or, you could even get a 19" CRT FREE from Craigslist as a temp. You'd just need a DVI to D-Sub converter. I have about a dozen of those and would mail you one for free.
    edited October 2008
    Second thing - heatsink recommendations? That (well besides a good LCD as discussed above) is the second thing I'm going to look into. Currently I didn't have an extra ~$50 to shell out but next month I might try and squeeze that in.

Lastly, I haven't owned a Intel pc in at least 4 years. What sort of OCing expectiations can I have with this particular mobo and proc combo? (and assume a good HS)

cheers :jared:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    jared wrote:
    Lastly, I haven't owned a Intel pc in at least 4 years. What sort of OCing expectiations can I have with this particular mobo and proc combo? (and assume a good HS)
    500 MHz minimum.. possibly as much as 1000 MHz on air.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    so, have you overclocked it yet or what?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    in b4 "500FSB or go home"
    edited October 2008
    I just finished putting it together a couple of days ago and slapped an install of xp32 on it to make sure everything is working.

No over clocking yet, all I have is the retail heat sink. Next week (after I get payed) I am going to order a HS and front 120mm fans so I can start bumping the speeds up. Anything else I should grab from NE before I start OC'in?

Today I am going to Sams Club and buying an 8 foot table to replace my current desk (unless I find something better). My desk is already entirely too small let alone putting a new computer on it. Long desks(6ft+) seem to be hard to find and really expensive. This is what I'm thinking of getting.
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=323977&pCatg=3574
    It's not pleasing to the eyes but it should get the job done :D
    edited October 2008
    That's a tough, well-made table. I've used those models quite a bit. You may want to think about a way to anchor it, especially if it will be on padded carpet. When you eventually upgrade to a real work station, then your table will serve you well - easily stored party furniture or a makeshift workbench that you can move anywhere in the house or garage. You can put hooks on the end and hang it from a garage wall and it will take up no space when you aren't using it.

Smart choice!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    500 FSB OR GTF-- oh.
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the input Leo! I was a bit unsure how well my cunning plan to use that table as a make shift would actually work - but now it sounds like I don't have much to worry about. :D

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I would suggest against the 8' version of this table. It will start to sag with any load on it. Unless you can keep any heavy stuff (more than a couple of pounds) right over the legs you will not be pleased.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Huzzah! IKEA cabinet-door-desk!

Looks like you can do it for ~$80 if you feel like assembling it all. It'll look better than the table will - though I can't imagine it'll support weight any better without a crossbeam underneith. I'm sure there's some piece of something lying around campus you can "borrow"...
    edited October 2008
    Ok so this week I ended up getting the table I was talking about.

Surprisingly, it has decent reinforcement in the middle - so far I haven't had any problems with bending or sagging in the middle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26218&stc=1&d=1225468940

With tax it was $85 ... for 8ft. Can't get a better deal than that imho :cool:

So here is my setup so far!

attachment.php?attachmentid=26217&stc=1&d=1225468940

I'll be ordering another round of parts from newegg this week to hopefully finish things out. :D

-1.jpg 132.9K
    -2.jpg 167.1K
    edited October 2008
    Glad it's working for you.
    so far I haven't had any problems with bending or sagging in the middle.
    No, you're not that old yet.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I thought that that was call droop........................