Fallout 3

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Bingo.

Though I'm surprised you haven't met children yet, there have been a few in every town I've gone to.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I've only been to Megaton (since esploded) as a major town. No other major towns except "Big" Town.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I originally wasnt going to bluw up Megaton, but seeing how much of a rude person the tavern keeper was, I decided 'this town is full of rude people', and blew it to kingdom come. Good ridance.

I've also found that simply by doing mishions you become evil, going against what you are told in missions will get you good karma. I set out in the game for good karma, but im a Reaper now XP
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    It has less to do with doing or not doing the missions, and more about picking the humane or ethical choice or being a jerk to everybody.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Gate28 wrote:
    I originally wasnt going to bluw up Megaton, but seeing how much of a rude person the tavern keeper was, I decided 'this town is full of rude people', and blew it to kingdom come. Good ridance.

I've also found that simply by doing mishions you become evil, going against what you are told in missions will get you good karma. I set out in the game for good karma, but im a Reaper now XP

I think that depends on the mission. If evil people give you missions, if you contradict what they ask you'll gain good karma. If you do "good" missions and waver it'll give you bad karma. The same for killing people. If you kill bad people you get good karma, and vice versa. One time for kicks I snuck up behind Tenpenny and put a grenade in his pocket while he was sniping at the wastes and it blew him clean off the balcony. This gave me good karma. I love putting grenades in people's pockets while pickpocketing. I take, but I still give back. LOL.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I'm not condoning the murdering of children, or even suggesting it's a crucial piece of Fallout gameplay. It wasn't about you killing the kids. It was about the fact that you could. That was what made Fallout so groundbreaking. you could do anything you wanted to, no matter how twisted your mind was.

But the game also doesn't hinge on the ability to do so, either. I'm not disappointed with that removal. I'm more worried that it just feels like Fallout. Some of those controversial things in the first two games are exactly the kind of things that defined it to me.

Fallout 3 is a touchy subject for me because I hold the first two games in VERY high regard. Fallout 2 is within my top 10 favorite games of all time.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Not fond of the genre but this sounds like an interesting game.
    edited November 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Not fond of the genre but this sounds like an interesting game.

Of which? The RPG, fps, or turn-based genre?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Whatever the hell that's not human.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I'm not condoning the murdering of children, or even suggesting it's a crucial piece of Fallout gameplay. It wasn't about you killing the kids. It was about the fact that you could. That was what made Fallout so groundbreaking. you could do anything you wanted to, no matter how twisted your mind was.

But the game also doesn't hinge on the ability to do so, either. I'm not disappointed with that removal. I'm more worried that it just feels like Fallout. Some of those controversial things in the first two games are exactly the kind of things that defined it to me.

Fallout 3 is a touchy subject for me because I hold the first two games in VERY high regard. Fallout 2 is within my top 10 favorite games of all time.

I hear you Lynx. I played the first and second one a lot but never completed them (I always ended up starting over). So far, I can't decide if this is fallout in fps mode or oblivion with guns. It seems I am reminded of both in a lot of situations.

On balance I would say the fallout universe has been justly represented. The gun models, character models, types of quests, character development all give gracious nods to the fallout series. As far as the gross violence or the ability to rape, kill, murder at your own discretion it isn't quite as what it was in the originals. Unfortunately the climate for these actions in games has noticeably gotten colder these days than when fallout made its debut.

But, every time I pull out the Chinese sword or struggle to climb around rocks I am reminded of Oblivion. Not terrible in itself but maybe not what everyone is looking for? I dunno, as I play it now I have few gripes. I wish there were turns for when you activate V.A.T.S. so that you don't have to wait in real time for your AP to regenerate or making the local map look less like green vomit and more recognizable. However I have yet to feel like the fallout series has been dealt an injustice or that major aspects of fallout have been forgotten.

I still like it quite a bit despite my insanely lofty standards not quite being met. Then again I don't think any game has done that...
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Well stated Winfrey. I'm becoming more comfortable with the fact of what the game is the more I read comments on it. I'm still skeptical, and will be until the game is installed on my hard drive.

Can you aim for the groin in VATS? That's pretty important to me...
    edited November 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Can you aim for the groin in VATS? That's pretty important to me...

Unfortunately no:sad2:. And really can you make someone want to die more than when you blow their gonads off?

Nor do you "aim" per se with melee weapons which is kinda lame. (I still want to play through using almost exclusively melee weapons though, just for shits and giggles.)

Also the Rock-it launcher is awesome, I've killed so many ghouls with the same box of detergent :bigggrin:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2008
    So apparently the Australian ban on Fallout 3 was for it's depiction of drug use in the game not the violence or anything else. So the ability to not kill children or removal of groin shots etc... was just a choice Bethesda made.

No groin shots, no fart jokes, I'm not losing any sleep from them being removed. I am though losing sleep from playing this game during the whee hours.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    There are fart jokes. Three Dog cracks fart jokes on the radio in game...

I dabbled with Fallout 1 and 2 but never got too deep into them so I really don't know if I'd miss being "that guy." I think the options you are given in Fallout 3 are pretty sweet. The dialogue really works for me.

Honestly, I don't enjoy the way heads and limbs detach so easily in combat. It's graphic and over the top, which usually I'd find to be funny but in this case, not so much. I guess when they go to such great lengths to make the world of Fallout real, it runs counter to what goal. They've done a great job at making Fallout real. It's incredibly fleshed out and everywhere you go you get the feeling that life in that world in hopeless.

It's good for the players to connect with characters, but at the same time, it's hard to play a game when you know that no matter what, your actions can't really do anything to improve the situation. I don't find myself wanting to get involved in Fallout 3 for that reason. From what I've found, everything ends in sorrow. After a stressful day at work, I don't need a downer.
    edited November 2008
    Geez buddyj way to be depressing!
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    So apparently the Australian ban on Fallout 3 was for it's depiction of drug use in the game not the violence or anything else. So the ability to not kill children or removal of groin shots etc... was just a choice Bethesda made.

No groin shots, no fart jokes, I'm not losing any sleep from them being removed. I am though losing sleep from playing this game during the whee hours.

The ONLY difference between the Ausie version and the regular version is that "Morphine" was renamed to "Med-X"

That's it.
    edited November 2008
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    The ONLY difference between the Ausie version and the regular version is that "Morphine" was renamed to "Med-X"

That's it.

Its Med-X in US too...well, it is in mine at least.
    I was exteremely disappointed with the end. It kinda just ended. No bang, no flash, no nothing. It was kinda fun killing things down the street with Liberity Prime, but getting into the chamber and finishing the game was bad. First game EVER to leave me angry. I also heard that if Fawkes is in your party, you cant make him go into the radiation chamber and enter the code, even though hes immue to radiation. EITHER YOU OR THE CHICK HAS TO DIE. Epic contenuity fail.

I dont really care that the ending was totally lame, but the part what really screwed me is that you can't play past the ending. Bad move Bethesda.

I still loved the game, though, 9.5/10, without counting the above
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I have a weakness for spoilers...:(
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited November 2008
    Fallout 3 was a large letdown for me. It felt like Oblivion: Guns & Future expansion. Not worth the purchase. IMO. Just rent it or borrow it from a friend.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Fallout 3 is ok so far. I need to play it more before I can really judge it though. But it does seem like oblivion with guns, and I'm not sure how much I'll like that.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Fallout 3 is ok so far. I need to play it more before I can really judge it though. But it does seem like oblivion with guns, and I'm not sure how much I'll like that.

Seems ok here so far too, except for the fact my game CONSTANTLY CRASHES outside the vault. Open pipboy, crash. Pick a lock, crash... Walk.... well you get the picture.

I've tried every solution I can find and can't seem to get the game to run. I'm either going to have to do a complete system reinstall or wait for a patch. I think I'll wait for the patch.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    pseudonym wrote:
    Seems ok here so far too, except for the fact my game CONSTANTLY CRASHES outside the vault. Open pipboy, crash. Pick a lock, crash... Walk.... well you get the picture.

I've tried every solution I can find and can't seem to get the game to run. I'm either going to have to do a complete system reinstall or wait for a patch. I think I'll wait for the patch.

I had this problem in Oblivion (crash whenever I do anything outside). Since this is the same engine, maybe it's a flaw they still haven't fixed.

After months and months of being sad that I couldn't play, I finally stumbled upon a report that the oblivion engine does not play nice with some codecs.

I deleted all of my codecs, and the game worked fine. Then, I reinstalled the codecs as I needed them, testing the game after each one, until I figured out which one caused the problem.

Unfortunately, I can't remember which one it was anymore :(
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2008
    So I got a good chance to put some significant time into fallout 3 this weekend (several 4-6 hr jaunts as opposed to an hour here or an hour there) and now have a very good feeling for the game. I loved it from the beginning and that hasn't changed but some things I have a better appreciation for now...

First I'm playing it on the xbox and in about a total of 20hrs of play it's only locked up once.

The whole Oblivion with guns comparison is probably the most accurate description to give it, no real shocker there. While the primary control is that of an FPS the game is definitely not an FPS, which may throw some people off. It's far more of a tactical game where you need to sneak around, use cover and try and draw your enemies out. Your armour isn't great and until you get much better in your weapon of choice your snap FPS style shots are often going to miss. So the key is to get in close pull up VATS and kill stuff.

This game really is about using the right tool for the right job and you need to play it more like a Survival Horror game then an FPS. If you keep that in mind you should be fine. Resources aren't unlimited simple as that. You need to make use of all of them. Which often means picking up every scrap and making frequent quick teleports back to your safe city to sell it off, sleep to heal (which is free). This is a basic strategy that you really need if you want to maximize your effectiveness.

Do quests. Wandering is great and you can find some really cool side things. But generally its more effective to do the bigger quests you run into in the cities/camps you hit. They often provide bigger in game rewards and also help to find new areas to explore.

Melee weapons - no ammo, lots of damage use them.

Now in terms of Story I really like it. From the subtle hints you find to the Galaxy Radio caster talking about your deeds. I find that this game really keeps me feeling grounded and part of the story. Much more then Oblivion ever did and yes even more then Fallout 1 or 2. In Fallout 3 I feel important and want to keep going and less of an observer that's just being pushed forward.

Leveling. You only have 20 levels, so plan ahead. You can't be master of every skill so you need to really pick a core few and develop them. The most difficult decision will be your weapons. They are all so much fun. The good news is you really can't make a wrong choice as they all are viable for the end game. Also you get access to all of them early so it's not like if you waste developing energy weapons now you won't see your first one until the last 1/3 of the game.

Also on the subject of leveling most areas of the game set their level when you find them. So if you go to an area, find it to tough to finish. Just leave it and come back later when your tougher. You should then have a much easier time going through it even if it's a matter of just having the right equipment for the job. This is also key to certain story levels. If you hit a quest point earlier it'll lock it. You can then leave it alone go explore, come back later and that story quest will be easier. Of course if you do this all the time then eventually quests will catch up with you and they'll all be hard.

The Rock-It Launcher. This thing is great. Save up your coin to buy the schematics asap. Then this becomes your ammo saver. All those cups and bottles you find lying around. Sure you can collect them and sell them. However if you have the Rock-It launcher you can shoot them instead. Best of all you can often retrieve them making for almost unlimited ammo. More importantly though it means you can save your bullets for when you need them. Also it's pretty cheap to maintain the Rock-It launcher.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Pseudonym the patch is released.
    "Bug Fixes
    Fixed occasional crashes when exiting the game or using Alt F4 to exit.
    Fixed crashes when using Alt-Tab while binks or credits were playing.
    The game now restarts properly after title updates finish installing."

Doesn't sound like it will help you, mine crashes every 20 minutes or so. This is an improvement from 5 to 6 minutes, the only thing that I have found that helps so far is turning off AA and AF.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    1) It seems to only crash for me when i get a steam message or notification. I've turned all that off and I pretty much never crash in-game anymore.

2) The sniper rifle is maddeningly inaccurate.

3) I like this game.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2008
    My views of Fallout 3 PC..

It's Oblivion with guns. I can still sneak around an chop most people appart, or hit'em with FISTO! (Best weapon name EVER) and they die in a nice, but weirdly grotesque explosion of gore, but I did get Bloody mess to do that extra damage.

I don't enjoy Fallout 3 as much as I enjoy Farcry2, but it's not bad... Believe it or not it's the same engine Bethesta used for Oblivion, with some patching here and there.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    CB wrote:
    I had this problem in Oblivion (crash whenever I do anything outside). Since this is the same engine, maybe it's a flaw they still haven't fixed.

After months and months of being sad that I couldn't play, I finally stumbled upon a report that the oblivion engine does not play nice with some codecs.

I deleted all of my codecs, and the game worked fine. Then, I reinstalled the codecs as I needed them, testing the game after each one, until I figured out which one caused the problem.

Unfortunately, I can't remember which one it was anymore :(

Yes, I read this also. I deleted all my K-Lite codecs and didn't get it to run. I'm going to try and just revert everything back to a basic codec install to see if it helps.

I also ran that patch, but since I'm running a Steam version the patch crashed.. This game loves me!!
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Is the character creation as good as it was in Oblivion?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    ffmpeg causes the problems, i think.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited November 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Is the character creation as good as it was in Oblivion?

Not really. I think it is a lot weaker. But just wait for the mods to fix that up.