Extended Desktop - now problems, strange

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Hardware
This thread probably could have gone under Drivers, Hardware, Graphics, or General Software. Beats me.

I'll do my best not to confuse everyone. Please bear with me. This requires an explanation as it is rather strange. :tongue:

Computer configuration: Windows XP SP3, Q6600, 620W Corsair PSU, 8800GT in PCI-e slot, 9800GT in another PCI-e slot, DVI monitor hooked up to 8800GT, nothing hooked up to the 9800GT. Computer boots (obviously) into Windows on the 8800GT. The two video cards are not in SLI mode.

(I installed the second video card for multi-GPU Folding@Home, and it works perfectly. In Windows XP, in order for GPU Folding to execute properly on both video cards simultaneously, the user is required to enter Display Properties and "Extend the Desktop" through the second video card (in my case the 9800GT) on a second display (yes, even though there is physically no second monitor/display). OK, I did that, Folding is working perfectly on both video cards, one Folding client for each video card.

OK, here is the problem. The Windows screensaver no longer works. The screensaver is set to run random photographs from a folder with digiital images. It's always worked perfectly until I extended the desktop

And a corallary problem as well. If I change the settings for the second video card (the 9800GT that's not physically connected to a display) it will change the resolution on Office 2007's Outlook and Word, but not on any of my other applications, which will still work in their set resolution (1900X1200). If I set the second video card/non-existent display settings to 1900X1200, then the Office applications again are normal. weird!

Obviously, this is not an emergency, but I'd like to get my screensaver back. I enjoy the photos very much as they display randomly. But the main thing is that I'd like to solve the technical issue.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Windows screensavers don't support multi-monitor configurations. The presence of a second monitor isn't required for Windows to think you're in multi-monitor mode. You might try a demo of Ultramon to extend the screensaver.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I took a look at Ultramon. Interesting software - and thinks for the suggestion - but not for me.

Turns out the fix was pretty easy: all I had to do was turn off the second client, disengage the extended desktop, add the flag "-forcegpu nvidia_g80" to the Folding client's startup file, and restart the client. The flag forces the computer's second video card to fully engage the second Folding client.

Before I came up with that fix, my interim solution was simply to preconfigure slideshows with Irfanview. A startup icon on the desktop made it very convenient to launch a choice of several shows. I may stick with that actually, as it seems to me the Irfanview image rendering is better than the native Windows screensaver.