Call of Duty 5 (PC)

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Gaming
See http://www.gotfrag.com/cod/story/43331/

Who's interested? I know I am.

I was HOOKED on CoD1 and CoD2 like crack. Literally. CoD3 didn't do much for me. I'm playing through CoD4 right now on my new PC and so far its been ok.

I'm a huge fan of WWII games, especially FPS and Action ones. Call of Duty 5 looks like all the secksy graphics of CoD4 but with the (hopefully) great WWII story line and plot.

I'm anxious about the multiplayer as well. I've been playing a little CoD4 multiplayer on the PC and so far it has been alright. I think with a new spin on things it might be really fun.

Whatcha think?

cheers :jared:

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    allies win
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    lulshwaip

Not a fan of WWII, personally. I'll be staying away.
    edited November 2008
    I liked 1/2. 3 was meh. 4 was pretty good - i really liked the sp. I'm still not sure I like the way health is handled in 3/4. And I've started to HATE the 4 multiplayer. too many grenades, too many people using the p90 with doubletap.
    edited November 2008
    Triple grenade perk + martyrdom = worst MP experience in small/medium maps ever...

... and it still managed to be fun. SP was fantastic, and just short enough you could play the whole thing in a day if you wanted.
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, i think the problem was that a lot of the maps were designed for the xbox (?), so they should be capped at 8 people. But then people run 24 person servers with maps like shipment (oh god it's horrible).
    edited November 2008
    spawnexplodediespawnexplodediespawnexplodediespawnexplodediespawnexplodediespawnexplodediespawnexplodediespawnexplodediespawnexplodedie
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Never got an auth email so I never got to install the beta.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I do agree completely with you about health.
    Call of Duty 1 & 2 had it down, then they changed the way it works in 3/4 - not a fan. Single player is still fun though.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I used to play a healthy amount of COD 1, 2, ...they got it right with United Offensive, IMO. COD2 was an annoying step backwards for me. I honestly haven't looked into COD5 at all, and I've never gotten around to playing COD4.

I've tired a bit of the WWII genre, primarily because it's the same front with nearly every single game. The formula is usually along the lines of 101st/82ndAB + references to BoB + dash of Normandy = winning title.

For what it's worth, if you can find the right servers to play on online the games are entirely worth it. I tend to lean more towards servers tagged with "realism" for their absolute hatred of spawncamping, bunnyhopping, rambo, etc.
  • edited November 2008
    Looks good, haven't seen much of it though. If its exactly like Cod4 but ww2 then it will be good.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I've played the first and beaten the 3rd (on Wii, it was decent). Haven't really gotten into it much.
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited November 2008
    I have been playing the multiplayer beta for about a week or so now and it is COD 4 in WW ll. I do not like the COD multiplayer. To me all you do if grind to get better guns and OP perks. I like TF2 a lot better.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2008
    1 word describes this game: Terrible.

I've been playing the beta for a few hours and it's terrible. It's basically a shitty expansion pack to COD3. They added artillery fire and dogs that run around and bite people. The 3 new levels that are included all suck. The one level that takes place in Japan is the only one that's mildly entertaining.

There have been 3 other WWII call of duty's and the end is always the same....Nothing new happens, so why bother making a 4th?

(By the 4th one I mean the 4th WWII COD, and nothing changed. Allies win every time)
    edited November 2008
    Wait i'm confused. This is the 5th one.

And this one is based off of COD4, not COD3.

I'll probably pick it up just for the single player. I'm not expecting anything great from MP since it is going to be a lot like COD4.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    jared wrote:
    Wait i'm confused. This is the 5th one.

And this one is based off of COD4, not COD3.

I'll probably pick it up just for the single player. I'm not expecting anything great from MP since it is going to be a lot like COD4.

I believe he was saying this is the 4th COD to be set in WWII.
    edited November 2008
    They may have used the same physics engine, but since the guns and weapons are old technology (WWII), it plays like a completely different game than COD4.

I will never understand why they had to go "back in time" and make ANOTHER WWII game. I can't even count how many WWII games there are, let alone the 3 other COD's. The weapons suck, the maps are garbage, and Hitler still sucks. If I wanted to play another WWII game I'd play the 3 other Call of Duty's which I already have, or I don't know, one of the other hundreds of WWII games for every system ever made.
    edited November 2008
    So how do you really feel?
    edited November 2008
    I feel that it's an expansion pack to COD3.
    edited November 2008
    Because WWII game sell. Hard. There are plenty of WWII games out there that are great.

And some how I don't think the single player is going to suck as much as you say. The CoD4 SP was entertaining (besides the stupid health system).
    edited November 2008
    I never said anything about the single player. I basically said you're paying $60 for new maps if you buy it strictly for multiplayer.
    edited November 2008
    So, how is the single player then. I don't buy games strictly for multiplayer...
    2/3 of games out have shitty mulitplayer modes.

I understand what you mean but thats kinda like saying 100 games out there just have "new maps" and "new skins" because they all run off the Q3 engine.

I mean obviously the game is going to have new objectives, story line, etc.
    That is what will determine if I buy the game. A good multiplayer is just a nice bonus :D
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2008
    I purchased it last night. Its not bad.....I hate the dogs though.
    edited November 2008
    Bud wrote:
    I purchased it last night. Its not bad.....I hate the dogs though.

Second the dog part. They're definitely more annoying than the helicopters were in 4, although you get points for killing them.
    jared wrote:
    I understand what you mean but thats kinda like saying 100 games out there just have "new maps" and "new skins" because they all run off the Q3 engine.

There aren't new skins other than like 2 characters and the dogs which they probably got from Infinity Ward. The models and guns are EXACTLY the same as COD3 minus the voice dialogue. They must have acquired the models from Infinity Ward and just ported them into the game.

It's not a bad game, the only reason why I said it's terrible earlier is because it's basically a COD3 mod.....without much being modded. I'm pissed off at them for making another WWII game because after playing COD4, no WWII game can compete with that. The new weapons were so much more fun than a damn bolt action rifle. OMG a semi-auto rifle? WTF is that!

Has anyone played Roundhouse, the multiplayer map that takes place in Japan? At least that's what I think it's called, but anyway how annoying are the voices on that map? I had to turn off the dialogue because it was so damn annoying.
    edited November 2008
    tmh88 wrote:
    The new weapons were so much more fun than a damn bolt action rifle. OMG a semi-auto rifle? WTF is that!

FWIW, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum than you when it comes to weapons in videogames, so we do exist.

Without getting too much into it, I feel that aiming down an iron sight and hitting your target with the one bullet you've got with the bolt-action is very satisfying. More so than putting an MP5 with an optical sight in full auto up to my shoulder and letting loose on a guy moving perpendicular to me.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Without getting too much into it, I feel that aiming down an iron sight and hitting your target with the one bullet you've got with the bolt-action is very satisfying. More so than putting an MP5 with an optical sight in full auto up to my shoulder and letting loose on a guy moving perpendicular to me.

I agree, which is why I play more CoD2 than 4. The guns in 4 were just silly. Only had 5 for an hour but so far I like it.
    edited November 2008
    CoD5 problems already!
    I'm trying to play multiplayer but it can't connect to online services to get my profile info! Thought I'd try single player, same problem. So it has to connect so I can play single player as well? Stupid but as long as it's broke I can't play either. I now have a £35 ornament while I wait for them to fix it. No mention of that on the box.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited November 2008
    The game is worth it. I feel that finally getting a Co-op mode in CoD5 makes this game worth it. I would agree with everything else else said. It is a re-fit of CoD4, but its a blast to play online with some friends in Co-op mode or Nazi Zombie... I am a bit upset still as there are still lingering bugs though. Depressing when you buy a game and have a patch before the release. And there are still bugs in the game!
    edited November 2008
    I finally got on, others had the same problem. Yeah a 300+mb patch is scary on release day. Still, it's early days so we'll just have to see.
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited November 2008
    The game is worth it. I feel that finally getting a Co-op mode in CoD5 makes this game worth it. I would agree with everything else else said. It is a re-fit of CoD4, but its a blast to play online with some friends in Co-op mode or Nazi Zombie... I am a bit upset still as there are still lingering bugs though. Depressing when you buy a game and have a patch before the release. And there are still bugs in the game!

Just get Left 4 Dead it is a same game.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited November 2008
    Uhh just bought the game for pass time. Always hear the "BANZAIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!"