Time to re-evaluate my "expertise"

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I hope none of my clients ever sees this thread :)

I got an Abit NF7-S v2.0 about three weeks ago and I have had scads of trouble with it. I've asked shorty for some advice and he recommended killing APIC in the BIOS, which required a reinstall, and all told I've reinstalled about 3 times now, but one lingering problem has driven me nuts. I could not, for the life of me, get USB ports 3-6 working. I finally gave up today and decided to RMA the board since I tried every trick in the book, spent hours on various forums, read a million FAQs, and tried every possible combination of BIOS and driver versions.

So, when I went to take my computer apart today, I started unplugging all the onboard cables, and then I saw two USB ports above the SATA headers.

Can you guess where Uncle Primesuspect had his USB cables plugged into this whole time?

After unplugging the USB cables from the firewire headers, everything works like a charm.

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    damn Prime, open your eyes next time, hahah
    i bet when you saw that USB port you were like this:banghead:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I went berserk. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw those farking headers. -tk just smirked and laughed at me and said "next time you shouldn't throw away the manual"
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Firewire 2? :P

Im glad you sorted it all out.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Another victim of the ID 10 T error ;D

been there... :)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Just remember, if all else fails RTFM!:D
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Necropolis_uk said
    Just remember, if all else fails RTFM!:D

Good idea, but he threw his away.:o
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    Ain't no thing Prime. We ALL do that from time to time. I am no expert in SATA, but it seems like the SATA headers look a lot like USB headers. Add to that a little bit of "hurry up" during install, our own arrogance (we've all had a dose of that from time to time), and the PEBCAK factor, and mistakes are bound to happen. At least you didn't fry any hardware as a result.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Nice job, Brian. Yes, we've all been there. You would think that we'd be careful with metal object around sensitive electronics, right? Yeah, uh-huh. I'm surprised I haven't blown up more boards as my screwdriver slips from the heatsink tab and goes bouncing across the traces, or I decide to wrench tighten the nylon bolts on the Alpha PAL8045 thus scratching the traces on the back of the mobo.

Then, of course, when testing a mobo, it's always best to short out the board by leaving a screw underneath which creates a circuit between the board and the case.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    hmmm ...glad you found the problem prime. Keep us posted if you find any other problems!
    You wouldn't happen to have access to a wildcatvp card by anychance? I'm curious to see how the card and the mb get along especially w/ the drivers installed. anyone?

csimon :fold:

ps: rather than re-eval your "expertise" perhaps you should pay a visit to an optometrist first??? LOL:nudge:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    csimon said

ps: rather than re-eval your "expertise" perhaps you should pay a visit to an optometrist first??? LOL:nudge:

haha, its all good prime, we all have those days where your constantle :banghead: maybe you just didnt have enough coffee in you to see them.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    :banghead: I hate it when that happens. Gargh.. reminds me of my "classic" :scratch:

Computer just refused to work correctly. Keyboard was totally unresponsive and my OPTICAL mouse was continously clicking and bugging. I changed them into the USB ports, same problems occured.

I tried everything but determined that the motherboard must be on the way out, so ordered a new one. Just as I was about to break old rig down to fit new board, I had a brainstorm...

I had been playing an online game on the day the PC started acting up, the mouse got knocked onto the floor :rolleyes:

I changed the mouse for my spare mouse and guess what the PC worked fine. Nothing wrong with the motherboard, Id broke the damn mouse when I knocked it off the desk. I thought I was so smart and techie too, it had to be the board, never figured it would be the mouse :rolleyes:

I kept the new board because I didn't want to admit I was an idiot who didn't check the obvious.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think you were having one of "those" days.