Upgrading a laptop CPU

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Hardware
I've got an HP Pavilion DV6000 series laptop (DV6405US) with the AMD Turion 64 dual core TK-53 1.7 Ghz cpu. It's a 638 pin S1 socket.

From research, I have some options for upgrading it. Some of the AMD options are:

TL-60, 2.0 Ghz
TL-62, 2.1 Ghz
TL-64, 2.2 Ghz
TL-66, 2.3 Ghz

Also, I've read in random places that maybe an Intel mobile CPU can be swapped in, like a Core 2 Duo 7200 or a 2080.

Wht sort of Intel options do I have that are compatible? I've been reading different things in different places and want to buy a CPU only once and have it be right.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Installing an Intel CPU in an 'AMD' motherboard? Whoa, that would be a new one on me.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, it sounded weird to me too, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    No, you cannot put an Intel CPU in that laptop.. only Socket S1 AMD CPU's.
  • edited November 2008
    Intel CPU on AMD Board?? you can try, but i assure you will end up with a non-functional Laptop :(

I'm not really a keen person on Upgrading Laptop CPUs, but if you have the right equipments, skills, and knowledge to do... then i don't see why not :)

Before you go on upgrading, is your laptop still under warranty?
    edited November 2008
    It has had warranty recalls on it, so it'd be eligible, I think.

I do computer work for a living, I can tear down this laptop to every single piece and reassemble it without any problem.
  • edited November 2008
    check first to see if upgrading it won't void the warranty... i bought an MSI Wind a week back and realise that upgrading anything on the puppy will VOID warranty which is really stupid... even to upgrade ram or hard-drive which is one of the most common things Laptop users usually do...

i hope MSI will re-evaluate their warraty on this Netbook because it is a very popular product
    edited November 2008
    With those netbook computers, they are already so inexpensive, wouldn't it just be more practical to use one for two years, sell it, to then replace it rather than to upgrade components?

I would imagine the reason components upgrades void the warranty is that the maker has so little profit margin on those machines that they'd rather just provide absolute minimum in support. They couldn't get away with that with desktops or laptops (at least not for long). With netbooks being so inexpensive, maybe consumers won't expect as much support. It's sort of like when we on the forums sell used computer components. We make very little money on those sales and usually just guarantee that the part(s) works as advertised, or just guarantee against 'dead on arrival.' It's just not worth it for to us to provide a comprehensive guarantee.
  • edited November 2008
    more practical? i think its quite practical to upgrade RAM... it's one of those things that will boost the computers performance! what's the point of having an empty RAM slot? to VOID warranty? it's just stupid...

i don't think i can stick to 1GB for two years...
    edited November 2008
    what's the point of having an empty RAM slot?
    What is stock RAM configuration with your netbook? If you are telling me that the motherboard has an empty RAM slot, then, yeah, it's draconian that even adding another stick of RAM would void the warranty. It's really that restrictive?
  • edited November 2008
    yes there is an empty RAM slot... that's why i find it ridiculous... but i'm sure MSI will re-evaluate their warraty restriction at some stage (hopefully soon) since there has been alot of heat on the topic by consumers and reviewers
    edited November 2008
    i bought an MSI Wind a week back and realise that upgrading anything on the puppy will VOID warranty which is really stupid
    Are you sure you didn't read the fine print a little too quickly? I know I usually do.
  • edited November 2008
    Hell, if it breaks don't tell them you stuck another stick of ram in the empty slot; pull it out before shipping it off to them. I don't know about MSI but if you send a Dell laptop off for work they tell you to pull your hard drive out before shipping it to them to fix anyways.
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, really! If you're gonna send a laptop in for warranty work, swap the upgraded parts back out first! It isn't hard.
  • edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Are you sure you didn't read the fine print a little too quickly? I know I usually do.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-upgrading-wind-ram-voids-warranty