CPU/MOBO/RAM swap - How painful will it be?

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited November 2008 in Hardware
The system in question is my desktop system in my signature. What I would like to do really is swap the processor for a Q6600. As I am aware that means that I will need to change the Motherboard and also the RAM. We have an Asus p5k deluxe in another system in my household which is very nice so I was considering getting one of those. With regards to ram, I will probably go with 4gb of the appropriate OCZ RAM.

My only issue there really is that I am trying to avoid Vista as I make music on my current setup and don't want the headache of trying to get new drivers for everything, I am probably gonna have my hands full just swapping MOBO's anyways!

So to sum up

I want a Q6600, 4GB of RAM, a new MOBO and I would like to remain using XP.

What's the easiest way to do make the switch?
Which Mobo's and RAM sticks would you recommend
Is there any way I can continue to use XP and still make the most of 4gb of Ram?

I'm sure I read somewhere that 32-bit XP home can only 'see' 3gb of RAM but 64-bit XP Pro would be able to use all 4gb

Any truth in that?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    1) I recommend the DFI BloodIron for an inexpensive and robust motherboard that is also capable of overclocking. Its bigger brother is the DFI LanParty DK P35-T2R/S, which several Icrontic members (including myself) are happily using with monster overclocks. Did I mention inexpensive?

2) If you want to overclock, I suggest PC2-8000 or PC2-8500 from any quality manufacturer (OCZ, G.SKILL, Corsair, Mushkin, etc). Price wins!

3) The easiest way to make the switch is to back up your data and nuke your OS. Switching chipsets puts Windows on the fritz because the configuration data that allows the OS to talk to your components isn't speaking the same language as your new chipset.

4) Windows XP x86-32 will only recognize about 3.2GB of that 4GB total. Windows Vista x86-32 and Windows 7 x86-32 have the same limitations. Windows x86-64 will overcome the limitations, same for Vista x86-64.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    1) I recommend the DFI BloodIron for an inexpensive and robust motherboard that is also capable of overclocking. Its bigger brother is the DFI LanParty DK P35-T2R/S, which several Icrontic members (including myself) are happily using with monster overclocks. Did I mention inexpensive?

2) If you want to overclock, I suggest PC2-8000 or PC2-8500 from any quality manufacturer (OCZ, G.SKILL, Corsair, Mushkin, etc). Price wins!

3) The easiest way to make the switch is to back up your data and nuke your OS. Switching chipsets puts Windows on the fritz because the configuration data that allows the OS to talk to your components isn't speaking the same language as your new chipset.

4) Windows XP x86-32 will only recognize about 3.2GB of that 4GB total. Windows Vista x86-32 and Windows 7 x86-32 have the same limitations. Windows x86-64 will overcome the limitations, same for Vista x86-64.

Exactly what Thrax said.

I'd go for PC-8500 if possible, just more headroom and one less thing to bottleneck.

From what I can tell, the bloodiron is a phenomenal motherboard and you won't be let down.

If you don't backup data and reformat, be ready for problems if you just swap motherboards.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for your help so far guys. I have always shied away from overclocking but may wish to consider it now as I have heard the Q6600 overclocks very well. Not so sure how to go about it but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I have 3 hard drives in my current system, will the partitions all be read the same in the new system? Would it be best to boot up the 'new' system with just the system hard drive then re-add the others once I have it up and running?

A lot of questions I know, I just want to try and plan for everything I can think of that may go wrong.

Any of you guys done anything similar and can maybe pass on some words of wisdom on the best course of action to take once I have the CPU, MOBO and RAM in front of me?

Thanks again guys
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    The Icrontic Ultimate Reformat Guide should be of some help to you. Thrax wrote it and did a great job. Give it a read as it'll answer quite a few of your questions.

Your main hard drive will need a reformat. The programs you have installed will most likely need reinstallation. Your second and third hard drives should show up just fine once you've got Windows installed. And like you were saying, I think it'd save you some hassle by just installing the OS drive first and then adding your second and third drives later. Windows doesn't usually have problems reading drives from other Windows systems.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2008
    That guide seems really helpful.

Does anyone have a link to that driver compiler? I'm sure its in the guide somewhere but I can't see it. Forgive me, I slept about 4 hours last night!

Bad times!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008