Folding and ATI

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Folding@Home
After seeing the discussion about ATI Folding@Home performance in Lemonlime's thread, I thought I'd share this with everyone. TBonz seemed pretty frustrated with his card's performance, but I found something a few days back that says there might be hope yet:

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/amd-folding-explained-future-reveale/

This explains why ATI cards don't Fold well, and suggests that the Stanford team is working on a fix for the 4800 series cards that'll hopefully be ready sometime early next year.

Comments

• SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2008
    this May help ATI users :bigggrin:
    http://snipurl.com/5f5fw [www_marketwatch_com]
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    This explains why ATI cards don't Fold well
    Buddy J, that is just plain misleading. Unintentional I know, but still misleading. No, at present, ATI video cards lag Nvidia cards by about 40% in protein modeling, but they still trounce must CPUs, but they still compete favorably with any CPU in Folding. (BTW, I am not an ATI fanboy.)

If you want to purchase a video card primarly for Folding@Home, then Nvidia is the way to go...for now. If you are an avid gamer, your video card decision should be based on that. Well then, maybe your choice is ATI, maybe Nvidia.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for clearing that up Leo. You're right on the money. They don't perform as well as similar NVIDIA offerings at the moment is what I should have said.

Hopefully the performance margin will change with new drivers and software from Stanford so Folders can take advantage of AMD's lower prices.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I'm hoping that there will be a two-pronged improvement with better coding from the Pande group and ATi to bring production up to par with NVIDIA, which there is to be. My fingers are crossed...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    AMD’s Folding performance explained, future development revealed

The article is written by Theo Valich. English is not his first language. Don't confuse difficult reading to be indicative of lack of knowledge.
    so realistic goal is to have a new client coming in Q1′09.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Nice info, Leo :thumbsup: