Stuck at Raid?

edited November 2008 in Hardware
Hi, I just put a new 1 TB Seagate Barracuda in my PC. It is the only HDD in there, and it has no partitions. I have my windows CD in the drive, and I boot up. It reads my CD drives, the hdd, and then it goes to the SataRAID screen. But it freezes here. It says.

SiI 3114 SATARaid BIOS Version 5.0.27
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.

Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility
0 ST31000340AS _

Now the underscore blinks. It's been going now for about a half an hour, and has not passed this screen. I have tried hitting Ctrl S and F4, but nothing happens. I have also done Ctrl alt Del and it reboots the PC and then loads up the stuff. The beep codes have not changed since I put the new drive in.

Any clue why it's doing this or how to get past it?

I went into my Bios and changed Onboard SATA mode to SATA instead of RAID. Now I get a screen that says.

SiI 3114 SATALink Bios Version 5.0.27
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.

1 ST31000340AS _
and the underscore blinks here aswell...I put the drive into another PC that does not have the SiI onboard sata utility and it reads the drive fine and I can do whatever. But not in the PC I want it to be in.

EDIT:: I fixed it. I am not sure still what is wrong with that, but I ended up using one of my SATA ports that were controlled by my Nvidia chipset instead of my onboard SiL raid controller. It works now.

Thanks.

If this is the wrong forum to ask for HDD help please let me know where I should go and I will go there. Thank you.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Your motherboard manual may have instructions in it somewhere to use the non-RAID ports first. More probably, you have a BIOS setting selected for the RAID controller that tells it to be on, to await user instructions for setting up a RAID array. When you get a chance, go into the BIOS and look for the Sil 3114 options. Set it "IDE" mode. That means normal hard drive operation rather than an array of multiple drives.