Keebler is back in the saddle

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Folding@Home
No more of this 200ppd nonsense from some legacy system somewhere. The 6.20 client is chugging away here at ICHQ with more to come :rarr:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Excellent. Thank you. :thumbup
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Welcome back! :fold:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Okay fine. I started up again too. I don't know where my points are coming from anymore, they're certainly through no effort of my own.

I installed GPU today for the 3850. That may help the cause a bit.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Now start a fire under Thrax and get him back too.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Nice!

I'm determined to finish the Folding flash video off that I have been working on too, hopefully to help with the spirit. :)
    edited November 2008
    jared wrote:
    Now start a fire under Thrax and get him back too.

* Kaitolainen casts starfire under Solann
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I need my hand held a bit, apparently. :-/

Work 1: Core2, 7600 GT
    Work 2: Core2, ???
    Home 1: Core2Duo, 2900XT
    Home 2: A64 3200+, X800XT

Suggestions?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    I need my hand held a bit, apparently. :-/

Suggestions?
    work 1 &2 assuming this is the older architecture 2 x uniprocessor on each.
    home 1 1 ATI GPU client and one Uniprocessor
    home 2 one uniprocessor client.
    if work 1 and 2 are fast enough SMP may be viable.:bigggrin:
    edited November 2008
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    2 x uniprocessor on each
    Is that the 2 consoles with different machine IDs nonsense? :-/
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2008
    and the -local flag nonsense unless they are fast enough to do SMP client. And that may also vary depending on What OS they are running??
    edited November 2008
    I've never had to use the -local flag with dual clients, any version, any computer. When you make the configuration settings, just ensure that each client has a different "Machine ID." It doesn't matter what number you use, as long as each client's is different.
    edited November 2008
    They're all running XP Pro. My computers have never been subjected to any flavor of Vista. ;)
    edited November 2008
    How can I help, Keebs? Where are we at, now? Sorry, but I'm at 20 different things right now...and I'm not all that good at multitasking.
    edited November 2008
    This is pretty frustrating; four systems, four setups, the lingo is confusing, and there are EIGHT clients each with nicknames.

Is "uniprocessor" just the normal console (second on main download page)?

Is "ATI GPU" referring to the "Windows XP/2003 GPU Console client" (third on the "other" page)?

Why am I installing an ATI GPU and only a single "uniprocessor" on my main home rig? Does the GPU client also use half the cpu?

I looked at Garg's link for the DEINO and I'm really discouraged to see a requirement to manually configure the service and play in the registry. I'm going to opt out of that unless it's really compelling. As one who has "nuked the registry", I don't do registry hacks on stable boxes that I can't afford to have down.

I'm looking to maximize output without needing to check if my system is still stable and updated every day. I want to help the team, not spend my time babysitting clients that I could be using on the site.
    edited November 2008
    Just use the gui clients then

I downloaded GPU, clicked install, filled in my team info, and that's that. nothing complex at all. I may not be "maximizing my output" but I've been folding for the last two days now.
    edited November 2008
    I did download the normal GUI and it's only using half the cpu. This is precisely what I'm talking about.
    edited November 2008
    I did download the normal GUI ...

I'm confused. Are you attempting GPU Folding or CPU Folding?
    edited November 2008
    I've only downloaded the normal, "recommended" client, which seems to me is CPU. That said, I wasn't attempting anything per se, just following Stanford's recommendation and hoping it would work out. It didn't, heh.
    edited November 2008
    That's normal.

To utilize 100% of both cores you need to install multiple clients. You're not using the SMP client.
    edited November 2008
    I might have been wrong about the recommended client that you already downloaded being able to run SMP. You can get the SMP-capable client from this page (scroll down to Windows: V6 Beta SMP/CPU). The MPICH version may be easier to install. Follow the guide - I know it looks long, but that's only because it explains a lot of really basic stuff, and you should breeze through it.

I use Hide-It to hide the console in the tray once it's up and running. I haven't tried running it as a service, but the guide describes how to do so.
    Keebler wrote:

Your Work 1 & 2 boxes should run SMP if they're 2Ghz or faster. If not, you can run two copies of the single processor client. Let us know if the Core2s are < 2Ghz and we can let you know how to get two singles running.

Home 1 can run the first GPU client listed on this page, and one regular single processor client. The single processor client is the recommended client you've already downloaded.

Home 2 can run one regular single processor client.

Sorry it's a pain to get started, Keebs & Jared. It's taken me a little while to figure it out again since I installed it so long ago. Updating the client to new versions in the future is much easier.
    edited November 2008
    To utilize 100% of both cores you need to install multiple clients. You're not using the SMP client.

He can use the SMP client, though.
    edited November 2008
    Oh absolutely he can - i'm just saying he probably went to the stanford site and downloaded their recommended client instead of going for the advanced/beta area.
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, logical. They obscure the location of the advanced purposefully. They should only be installed by those who know hardware and have adequately ventilated (cooled) computers - both GPU and SMP.
    edited November 2008
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Let us know if the Core2s are < 2Ghz and we can let you know how to get two singles running.
    They're both about 1.83, I think.
    edited November 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    They're both about 1.83, I think.
    Hmm, they might finish the SMP deadlines in time. I've only had experience with the one C2D in my laptop, though, so I'm not positive. What does everyone else think?

Personally, I'd give SMP a shot and see how it goes. Maybe just with one of them to start. If you use FAHMon to track the client, you should be able to predict how much room you have to meet the deadline once you're a few percent into the WU.
    edited November 2008
    I ran SMP for a while on a Dell C2D laptop. If I recall correctly, the processor core speed was below 2.0GHz. It had no problem at all beating deadlines. Give it a try! At worst, it doesn't meet deadlines and you revert to the "normal" client. Ensure that the laptop's vents are not obstructed. SMP will not raise the core temps above their limits, but the CPU will need all the ventilation that was designed into the system.
    edited November 2008
    All the boxes are desktops :) I will give SMP a try this week. I feel pretty confident they could do it - they're both pretty impressive work horses.

How do I check the deadlines? I can't say as I've ever bothered to look at them before :o
    edited November 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    How do I check the deadlines? I can't say as I've ever bothered to look at them before :o
    FahMon, which monitors the whole production cycle. It's a simple program. It stays out of the way and uses few resources.
    edited November 2008
    Here's a screenshot of Mason's FahMon. You can see the ETA on the left, and the deadline on the right.

okimback.jpg