Antec 1200 Review (not 56k friendly)

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited December 2008 in Hardware
Well, here is my first review EVER! :)
I said I was getting an Antec 1200 and now I have it!
BOX.JPG

When this arrived at my door I was certainly suprised at its size!
I got it out the box and had a look.
NEW%20CASE.JPG

The all black theme certainly looks brilliant. The paint looks good. Not too thick or thin. Also the plastic on the front is so solid and high quality that it feels like metal.
Lets take off the side panel.
Panal%20off.JPG
Panel%20off%20more%20detail.JPG

The black interior makes a nice change from the standard grey/white. I noticed that this case has ALOT of thumb screw. It is tooless, but not that easy. Also, the lower sidepanel screw was so tight, I had to use a screw driver to undo it. TJHarlow on Youtube had the same problem with the same screw. Nevertheless this is a very minor problem (if its even considered a problem). Very conveniently all of the motherboard stand-offs were in all the correct places :). Strangely, they use different sized screws which are included in the accessory box which we will have a look at now.

Accsessory.JPG
This box was in the bottom harddrive cage. To get it out, you have to remove the cage. This is done by removing both sidepanels, then eight thumb screws (four each side). Then the harddrive cage slides out the front. The box was held in with masking tape so that it doesnt leave any glue residue on the metal.
When I put the harddrive cage back in, the dust filter handle (a small plastic tab) sometimes pops up and hits the above harddrive cage. While this isn't a very big problem it can be quite annoying and may lead to accidentally breaking one one day.
In the Accesory box is a bag of assorded thumb screws. Long screws for the harddrives, 51/4 to 3 1/2 bay adapter. Lots of stand-offs and three removable cable ties. Three more are included pre-attached to the case for cable management.

Here you can see a size comparison to a standered ATX case. The smaller one is 46CM tall. The Antec 1200 dawarfs it! :D
size%20comparison.JPG

So, after checking it out I got to work on transferring my old hardware into this new case. NOTE that I am getting a new PSU in a few days and this Winpower 550W is only temperary. :biggrin_mini:

Strangly enough, my £25 case has a removable motherboard tray which was very suprising when I was disassembling it.
REMOVABLE%20MOBO.JPG
Tray%20removed.JPG

This made things alot easier :yahoo:
Eventually, after some time I got everything moved over. Sadly, my PSU's cables were nowhere near long enough to reach the 24 pin or the 4 pin CPU power. This was very annoying because I had forgot to order some cable extenders. Because of the PSU mounting position in the Antec 1200 it is mandatory that you buy cable extenders if you don't want cables running infront of everything.
Like I said, I'm getting a new PSU with longer, sleeved black cables along with some cable extenders which should make cable management alot easier.

1200%20shot.JPG

To work on the Antec 1200 was a very nice experiance. Much better than my old case. With a really solid high quality feel and no sharp edges I can definatly reccomend this case. However, if you are looking for a case which you can just stick together in 5 minutes, then you will want somthing without screws, just plastic tool-less operation. I prefer the Antec 1200 over cases like the Thermaltake Armor + because it doesnt feel so temporary. It feels like its going to be a nice setup which wont need tinkering all the time. Unfortunatly, this is not me at the moment :lol2:

psu%20stacked.JPG

As you can see, I've had to "mount" the PSU externally in order to use it. :mellow:
Luckily this is only temporary.
So, here is my setup for now.

finished.JPG

As for noise levels, the Antec 1200 is very quiet on low. It also does shift alot of air on low. Its brilliant. Nowhere near as loud as the HEXUS reviews make it out to be. Even on high, the loudest thing is the rear and top fans, making a low pitched hum. Its still perfectly acceptable and much quieter than an intel HSF, those things sound like planes on max! The airflow on high is amazing.

Overall, I feel that this is a brilliant case. It has exeptional build quality, brilliant looks and airflow and ontop of that its very quiet. Also, there is loads of space to work in and no sharp edges.
I highly reccomend this case!

PS, very sorry about image sizes, I don't know how to resize.

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2008
    How does it compare to the 900? It looks almost identical apart from the flat top. Have you got any before and after comparrisons for temperatures?
  • edited November 2008
    revo, can you resize the pics to something that is more monitor-friendly? I'm running 1920 X 1200 on my 24" monitor and your pics just show a little over 1/2 the picture without having to scroll around. And the load times are really really bad because of the size of the pics. It detracts from your thread and review, man. :)

But thanks for posting this up. I have a friend who has been eyeing the 1200 for his next case and it's great to have somebody on a site we know that actually posts his comments about it. :thumbsup:
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2008
    Well, If i had any editing software I would resize them. How! How can I resize the pics! I would if I could. Can you tell me how?
    edited November 2008
    Ohh and RichD I havnt owned a 900 so I cant answer that one. The main difference is that its all black. and has 2 more fans than the 900. its 3 5 1/4 bays taller. :)
    edited November 2008
    Actually, dont worry. My friend just showed me how to rezize images. I'll get right on it.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Awesome man!
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    The pictures almost don't do this case's size justice. ALMOST.
    edited November 2008
    Images Resized! :D
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    you should just leave the psu in the old case and sit it right next to the 1200 so looks even stranger than the current "support system"

Are you using the fan speed controllers at all or did you just set them once and move on, I hated having to take apart the 900 to change speeds for "legit reasons"....whatever those could be.
    edited November 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    you should just leave the psu in the old case and sit it right next to the 1200 so looks even stranger than the current "support system"

Are you using the fan speed controllers at all or did you just set them once and move on, I hated having to take apart the 900 to change speeds for "legit reasons"....whatever those could be.

Take apart the case? There is little knobs on the front of the case to controll the front fans and a small panel with switches to control the rear fans with a low, medium and high setting. I dont have to take anything apart. Erm yes i could actually mount it in the other but then my desk wouldnt have much space lol. :P
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Well, If i had any editing software I would resize them. How! How can I resize the pics! I would if I could. Can you tell me how?
    Irfanview is an excellent, popular, time-tested program for photo editing, photo viewing, and multimedia.
    edited November 2008
    Thanks, Revorocks. I'm a case junky and am always interested in full size case developments. Please continue commenting in this thread as you gain experience with the 1200 and have 'lived with' it for a while.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Paint will resize also.. Just choose "Stretch/Skew" and then put a number lower than 100% to shrink.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Since the 900 was mentioned for comparison, here are a few pics. I didn't think of taking the time to do a review on it....my bad.

Antec 900 Gaming case:

Less fans included then the 1200. By default two 120mm in the front, one 120mm in the back and the 200mm mounted on the top.
    1.jpg

It may look that there is some space between the side case plate and the front but that is because I didn't have it tightly secured with the rear screws.
    2.jpg

Top angle with huge and silent fan. Included is a tray for your condoms....errr..change and guitar pics.
    3.jpg

Love the design for the harddrives, easy access.
    4.jpg

If I ever want to go water-cooled, no need for drilling out holes.
    5.jpg

Inside, back to front.
    6.jpg

Inside, front to back.
    7.jpg

Ooops, how did this get there....oh yeah, the reason I must regularly clean the case out.
    8.jpg

All in all, I love this case. All fans currently set to low and you can hardly hear this thing if not for the video card running Folding@Home's GPU2. As stated earlier in this thread, this case is smaller then it's big brother the 1200 but with 1TB and 1.5TB drives for next to nothing, who really needs all those extra drive bays anyways. Spacious and roomy and a smart design, this is by far the greatest and coolest case I have ever owned.
    edited November 2008
    TBonz, I am also an avid fan of the Antec 900, but I would swap mine in a heartbeat for a 1200. I agree, that with the availability of low cost, mass volume storage, multiple drive bays are not as important as they were a few years ago. What I do really like about larger cases though, is the ease of cable management, upgrading/configurations changes, and cleaning.
    edited November 2008
    I'm not trying to discredit the value of buying and owning a 1200. All I am saying is that the only major difference between the two cases for me from what I can see is the extra drive bays. Is the extra money to pay out worth the extra space? That IMO is a personal decision of each potential buyer. To each their own I say in their wants and needs. :)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    TBonZ wrote:
    Less fans included then the 1200. By default two 90mm in the front, one 90mm in the back and the 160mm mounted on the top.

its 120mm in the front and back and 200mm on the top of the 900
    edited November 2008
    Is the extra money to pay out worth the extra space? That IMO is a personal decision of each potential buyer.
    Yeah, exactly. If I had my hands in the case (the 900) more frequently than I do now, I'd probably replace it. But as it stands now, it's an excellent case - one of the best designs for sure - and it serves me well.
    edited November 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    its 120mm in the front and back and 200mm on the top of the 900

Thanks for correcting me. I was too lazy to pull the boxes out of storage and check the manual.
    edited November 2008
    One thing to note. The cable management on the 1200 is brilliant. Hols everywhre to pass cables through to keep everything looking tidy. Also, the black inside is really nice. The thing i love about this case is the build quality and the sound. Its so quiet and solid! 9 HDD bays too... Thats more than a Armor +! :D
    edited December 2008
    Well, after living with it for a while I'm finding that those front fans draw in so much air that the dust filters are a god sent. Removing them is a pain because each drive drive cage is 8 thumb screw to be removed, 3 drive cages result in 2 thumb screws. Anyway, once I got the screws out I pulled out the dust filters and discovered about 5mm thick is dust :D
    I've only had this case for a month, this jsut goes to show that this thing really does shift some air. Hardly any dust in my case too :D
    One problem I do have however is that the acrylic side panal window is poor quality, and i have accedentally scratched it with all those circular micro scratches by using a flanel and some window cleaner. However, this doesnt bother me too much it still is slightly annoying. Anyway, I LOVE this case :) Its so quiet!